Does anyone have bees?

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Does anyone on here keep honeybees? A friend of my husband's has to move out of the state for his job, and he told us that we could have his beehive if we pick it up, he is going to move to an apartment and cannot take the bees. We've been sort of thinking for a while it would be nice to have some bees and get our own honey, but now here is our chance to do it, completely free, but we have to do it this week, and we don't know much about beekeeping! Any bee keepers on here willing to give us some pointers or answer questions?

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have bees, but it's my husband's project, so I don't know a whole lot about them. What I can tell you is that they are pretty low maintenance. I think he checks on them MAYBE once a month. So there's not a lot to it. :)

TanksHill

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
There are several Bee keepers over on the SS forum. I am sure one would love to help you! Just ask!
g

CountryGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I also have bees. They pretty much take care of themselves. If you decide to take the bees, you need to move them in the evening after the workers are in the hive. Also you will need to block the entrance. As to the placing of the hive on your property, if you have acreage place the entrance facing the morning sun so they will start working sooner and if you should have some sort of shading from the west so they won't get too overheated from the afternoon sun. This will also give them some protection since most of the weather (rain and snow) comes from the west. If you are in an urban or suburban setting the placement shouldn't matter because it is in a more protected setting.

Hope this helps. Good luck.:bee

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have bees, as well. Don't miss out on this opportunity!! What a wonderful way to get into beekeeping. Take countrygirls advice and you will be fine. The great thing about bees, is that they know what they are doing- they really don't need too much help from us!! Check your cooperative extension. Ours runs a great bee group, with lots of people willing to help newbies!
Keep us posted!

jounderw

Sprout
Reaction score
This is very cool and sounds like a win win for you. Sounds like this is your chance to raise bees!! Let us know how everything goes. My step father has had bees and been taking care of them and making his own honey for years now and he always says its little to no maintenance.

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I like the idea of low maintenance, all our other animals and the garden are certainly not. I think if all goes well, we will be going to get them on Sunday. We have to drive two hours with them from Las Vegas, this should make for an interesting trip. Another question--I know there is always lots of paperwork involved in crossing state lines with livestock, what about bees? There is a place on the border where they stop EVERY vehicle crossing the Arizona-Nevada border and pretty much search your car, I think they're looking for illegal immigrants or something...it will be amusing to see their faces when they ask what that is in the back of the truck and we tell them a beehive! lol

We have seven acres with lots of wildflowers plus the vegetable garden, so they should have plenty to do! And the best thing is, the old owner had not gotten the honey yet, he says there's a lot in there for us. Yum!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got my first hive this time last year. Kinda not the best time of year to start beekeeping (March is better, after you've had all winter to read about it), but it can be done. Your husband's friend has probably already started getting them ready for winter, and other than feeding sugar syrup (if they need it) there won't be much for you to do.

Be sure you borrow a smoker and at least a hat and veil when you go to get them. They will react to you moving them. Like Lesa said, block the entrance (use window screen and staple it on). Be on the lookout for any upstairs entrances or mouse holes chewed into the corners of the box (Mine was a neglected hive--it was like swiss cheese! Took so much duct tape to seal up.) Also you will need a rachet strap to secure all the parts of the hive together.

I wouldn't say there's anything such as "free" bees. :p You'll have some startup cost purchasing the basic equipment you will need. Maybe they will even give you some of those things.

They're definitely worth it. I love having bees and my own raw honey. One of these days I hope to be able to expand my apiary and sell honey and bee products. Being a SAHM, this is something I could do easily to earn a little income on the side.

Beekeeping for Dummies is a good book to get started on. I like it for how it is outlined and easy to find information, but taken as a whole can be TMI at once. There is a lot to beekeeping if you want to do it the "right way" (I get a kick out of how everybody thinks their way is the only way...ha.) The bees however are more forgiving and with a little maintenance from you they will do their own thing and you'll still get a reasonable harvest.

Oh and for a great beekeeping forum where you can get lots of very specific answers and explore different styles of beekeeping, check out http://www.beesource.com/forums/

CountryGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi Ariel301,

I don't know about crossing state lines with bees. Check with the Ag department (County agriculture dept.) about this. If you do harvest the old honey from the hive, make sure you leave some for the bees. You don't want them to starve over the winter or have to feed them. Remember low maintenance. Leave them at least one super (box) of honey for the winter. When spring does arrive you shouldn't take all the honey from them because they are feeding new bees, larva and themselves. It takes a while to change the pollen (sorry I meant nectar) to honey once they gather it. It's better to leave them too much than not enough and have to feed them. Go slow, get to know them and what to do and they will supply you with hours of enjoyment and HONEY!:drool

Here is a link to a bee forum discussing taking bees across state lines. http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243763

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Crossing state lines- interesting... Several of the beeks that I know, take their bees to Florida for the winter and bring them back to NY for summer. Lucky bees! So, it certainly is possible- but you should find out for sure. It will be a bit of work to get those bees on the truck, you don't want to find out after that...Sounds like your property is perfect for bees!!