Does anyone know anything about clivia?

Bama Chick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Does anyone know anything about clivias? They are beautiful blooming plants from South Africa and the southern continent. The Chinese and Japanese grow beautiful plants as well. I have grown them for several years but I still need lots of advice. I would love to talk to someone who grows them for fun.
My DH travels a lot and brought my first plants and seeds from Port Elizabeth, South Africa. They are very challenging to grow from seeds but very hardy once the are older. I guess if they were easy they would be weeds!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi,

I have never had one myself, but I have adored them every time I see one.

I am not sure of the color range but mostly I have seen the deep Salmon Orange Clivia. The plant portions remind me of the Agapanthus, I wonder if they are related.

I have some Agapanthus in my garden but I cannot get it to bloom; I think it is my soil, a very heavy clay.

Can you share pictures of your Clivia ? I would love to see them.

Ron

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi there! :frow

I have only ever grown them in pots, wintering indoors, flowering in the spring, then putting them outside for the summer. Mine were orange/red & bloomed regularly every year until a friend house sat while I was away & managed to kill them off..............!! :th

I think they need sharp drainage, as I remember, & lots of light.

:rose Hattie :rose

Bama Chick

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I will post photos as soon as I figure out how. My avitar is one of my yellows. I have a few color varations from red, orange, peach and yellows. I have a few that are supposed to be "cream" but have not bloomed yet. I had my first pendulous plant bloom this weekend. All but the clivia miniata are pendulous.
Hattie, I'm so sorry you lost your plants. From what I know they do not like strong light. Strong light here in the southern U.S. is probably far different from the U.K. Mine are under shade trees in the summer but must be brought in during the winter as they can not tolerate freezing. I don't know if they are related to Agapanthus but I think they are in the lily family.
I do know that they are the hardest things I have ever tried to grow!!!!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've grown them as houseplants although I don't have one at the moment. My mom has had a couple for the last twenty plus years. They've been very easy low-maintenance low-stress houseplants, providing you have humid air and bright filtered light (they do not like lots of direct sun). I've never tried the yellow ones, dunno if they're any pickier.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My mother grows them, I do know they like to be really potbound before they'll bloom. She's had one for over 30 years now, so she must be doing something right! :)

Latest posts