Does anyone know anything about lemon plants?

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have a lemon plant in the house, which grows enormous lemons. There's this green stuff (we thought it was roots) growing out of the pot (not the leaves). This happened before, and we repotted the lemon and buried all the green stuff. The lemon plant grew bigger, but there is more green stuff than ever. I'll try to post photos:
8063_p2190005.jpg

8063_p2190006.jpg

8063_p2190008.jpg

Anyone know what this stuff is? The plant is healthy, and we love having fresh lemons all year!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good grief- are you sure it is not a grapefruit tree?? Those are huge lemons! That growth coming out of the pot, does not look like it has anything to do with citrus trees. I have grown dozens of orange trees indoors- and never seen anything like that...Is it possible some other plant has taken root in there, maybe if you had it outside?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
First off let me say that THAT is a gigantic lemon! Do you know what variety it is?

The green stuff growing up out of the pot isn't roots. It looks like it has little buds on it. Have they ever developed into anything? A bloom maybe?

If you tug on the "extra" plant does it have it's own root system? Or is it possibly coming off the trunk from below the graft?

It's certainly weird looking, and the structure of the stems makes me think that it's citrus related, as opposed to some sort of weed.
Speaking of which, does your lemon spend time outside?

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. No, we didn't have it outdoors, but we got this plant from DH's brother when they had to move (purchased somewhere in Massachusetts), so perhaps he had it outdoors at one time. This was a long time ago, maybe 12 - 15 years.

DH thinks that this stuff was just coming up out of the roots (he transplanted it), but that was a bunch of years ago too. Whatever it is, it does not seem to be harming the plant. It is in bloom right now ( the plant, not the green stuff, which always looks the same). I have no idea what the variety is, but the flavor is a little milder than a store-bought lemon, but not really sweet like a Meyer lemon.

I pulled on the green stuff and was able to pull some out, but it didn't come out with roots. It does not really appear to be connected to the trunk.

Now I am even more curious than before, :lol:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well next time it's due for a transplanting take a good look at it and see if it's connected to the tree in any way at all. You could wash the soil off the roots for a thorough examination and not hurt the tree.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, after some more research, I am starting to think the weird growth is a phytoplasma.

Phytoplasmas

Phytoplasmas are classified as bacteria; however, they lack a cell wall and can take on a variety of shapes. They are obligate parasites, meaning they can only survive within their host. Phytoplasmas live in the phloem of host plants and are vectored by certain phloem feeding-insects, such as leafhoppers. This pathogen causes distortion, yellowing, wilting, and witches brooms (a proliferation of growth). Immature leaf veins may appear clear (called vein-clearing). Flower parts may become vegetative and flowers that do develop.

Even though our lemon is not wilting or distorted, the " witches' broom description is perfect. While it was difficult to find photos, if you click on the " acid lime plant photo" in this link, it looks a lot like that. (sorry, I would paste the photo here but that does not work on my IPad)
http://www.plantwise.org/default.aspx?site=234&page=4279&dsID=54518

In reading, sometimes phytoplasmas effect the roots of plants, ( as opposed to just stems and flowers), but once again, I am finding it difficult to obtain sources of information or photos. Any phytoplasma experts out there, feel free to chime in!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Aha! That's really interesting, good job tracking down that info. I agree, that sure seems like what you have happening to your lemon tree. Now you can eliminate it , and your tree will thank you!

Latest posts