Does anyone prune their tomatoes?

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The Mama Chicken said:
Because our growing season is so long here the tomato plants tend to get really really big (one of mine has grown 4 feet up the trellis, 5 feet back down, and 5 feet along the ground) so I like to prune off everything down to the biggest sucker near the ground when production slumps in the hottest part of the summer (pretty much right now, I've been doing this for the last few days.) I'm left with a pretty small plant, but it has a huge root system to support it and it grows really quickly to produce more tomatoes through our long, mild fall. I don't think this would be a good idea in your area Petey, since your season is just a tad shorter than mine. :lol:
Thank you Mama. A pruning I will go. A pruning I will go. Hi ho the dairy-o a pruning I will go. :)

Just-Moxie

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't prune. Would be too much time spent outside in that stifling humidity here in SC. I just let nature take it's course, put back in the tomato patch the ones tring to escape. Mine are wild and unruly, but have been producing lovely juicy tomatoes this year and last.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
peteyfoozer said:
I was going to buy a large shepherds hook plant holder for each one, tie the vine to the post of it, put basil between the plants and plant trailing nasturtiums in the hanging baskets.
The past few years I have planted my excess 'maters in Connor's Memorial Butterfly Garden. I tied them to shepherd's hooks and hug planted baskets on the hooks. I used lantana, but the idea is the same. They did very well grown that way behind and between the flowers I had growing there. I also grew some pole beans along with morning glories on trellises behind the flowers. Beautiful to see and lots of delicious beans in season.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening in zone 4b-5a, newly 5b? -- anyway, Im still in the same spot in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

Latest posts