Doggie Jello

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know a lot of folks on here are dog people, so I thought you might like this recipe...or, well, your dog might like it. Sounds gross, I know. :sick

Where my dog has been having problems with losing blood from that skin cancer tumor, I made her this doggie jello for a supplement to help her recover from the anemia and boost her hemoglobin levels. You could make it with any different lean meat instead if you don't need the extra iron, run through the food processor to a thin pate consistency. Chicken would be good.

--1 lb. beef liver, simmered in a little water, puree in blender or food processor with the cooking water included.
--3 tbsp. unsulfured blackstrap molasses (do not use regular molasses--dogs shouldn't have the sugar), work this or other needed supplement in with the pureed meat.
--In a large saucepan on stovetop, pour in 2 c. of water and sprinkle 4 packets of Knox gelatin on top. Heat on low and stir constantly until gelatin dissolves.
--Add in the meat mixture and stir until combined.
--Pour into a 9X13" pan that has been lightly sprayed with oil and put it in the fridge to set, about 4 hours. Cut into cubes (I got 36 cubes.) It will come out about 1/2" thick and is not messy at all to serve. The amount of molasses and servings I made were based on my 50lb. dog. She gets 4 cubes a day.

This was a total experiment, so I was really tickled that it came out so well and Boogie loves them. Just make sure you use dog-friendly ingredients. Only the unsulfured blackstrap molasses is low in sugar and has substantial nutritional value, so be sure not to use regular molasses. It should keep in the fridge about a week or so.

These little cubes are also awesome for hiding pills in! She gobbles them up so fast, she hasn't realized she was taking her pill. :D

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Amazing.
Pictures??

IMGP8684b.jpg

The consistency is kinda like bologna. I just push the pill right into it. I like this better than using pieces of hotdog or whatever, because there are no nitrates or anything bad in there. I think the Knox gelatin will be good for her too, since it's a beef byproduct. My MIL said she used to take a spoonful of Knox powder a day to make her hair and nails grow long!

It doesn't stick your hands either, which is great! I was first just going to give her the pureed liver and molasses, but figured that would make a yucky mess of her food bowl.

Last edited:

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok.. you know what??? THAT is the coolest idea ever!
You should figure out how to package that!
People everywhere struggle to get meds/suppliments into their dogs and almost always end up giving them something that is bad for them in order to get something good into them.
THIS is a great idea.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok.. you know what??? THAT is the coolest idea ever!
You should figure out how to package that!
People everywhere struggle to get meds/suppliments into their dogs and almost always end up giving them something that is bad for them in order to get something good into them.
THIS is a great idea.

It was really quick to make up a batch too. :)

Latest posts