Dogwood help needed

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
This is the dogwood that didn't lose it's leaves last fall, and since we got down to -20 in November before the ground froze I was afraid I would lose it.
As you can see it has leafed out, but the leaves are an abnormal red.
It started out this way last year also, by having really red leaves. I have not seen another dogwood begin so reddish in the spring, so it must be cultural.
It also seems to have a touch of powdery mildew (?) or something, and the leaves are curled upwards.

I gave it a good deep soak yesterday, even though I really don't think it's a watering issue. Our weather has been cool and moist, with good soaking spring rains.

Anybody have some advice or good ideas?

7504_n_bed_roosters_dogwood004.jpg

7504_n_bed_roosters_dogwood008.jpg

texas75563

Sprout
Reaction score
I have 8 dogwoods and 2 pink dogwoods. All are less than 2 years old. More seeds in the refrigerator. The 1st leaves they put on are dark maroon red color. So I would say no worries on the color. Before the leaves fall off they tend to curl up. I wasn't able to see your picture. I'd guess everything is ok.

It's been about 7 months since your post. How do they are doing?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Texas! Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's fine, even though it behaves a little differently than any other "florida" dogwoods that I see. One thing I will address this season is upping the soil acidity around it. I kelp it every season about midsummer and it's amazing how that perks it up. My problem with my home landscape is consistency. My yard gets me when I'm wore out. :/

Latest posts