Dolgo Crabapples

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Okay so I found a supplier of Dolgo Crabapples, my next question is if I plant them in my orchard, across the orchard from my Apple Trees will they cross pollinate?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Depends on the variery of apples. If they blooom at the same time, crabapples make a good pollinator for an apple tree. Many commercial apple producers use crabapples to assure pollination since crabapples usually bloom for a longer time than other apple trees.

I'm not familiar with the Dolgo Crabapple. I planted Sargeant and Magenta crabapples to help pollinate some apple varieties I don't have one of the recommendred poliinators for, plus they are just darn pretty to look at.

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lol the Dolgos are supposed to be one of the real fruiting varieties rather than one of the ornamental fruiting that you can eat. We have 2 Royalty Crabapples in the front garden. So that would mean then that I could buy 1 Dolgo Crabapple and my apple trees may pollinate it if they flower at the same time? My apples are starting to flower now, well.. they have buds that look like they may open in the next week or so.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
It should work both ways. Those Royalty may help too if they are within range. I'm not sure what the proper range is, but it is probably further than you would think. I know bees can fly a mile, but just because they can does not mean they will. The number 200 feet sticks in my head but that may be from something totally unrelated. It's not that I've lost my memory, more that the dots don't seem to always connect the way they used to.

lupinfarm

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Haha well we went to the garden centre, they were sold out of Dolgos but they're getting more in Friday so we're going to call on Friday and have them keep one aside for us to pick up that day. They're more expensive, at $114/tree but we spoke to the nursery guy and our apples should pollinate them just fine, and we have 2 large old crabapples down the driveway that still fruit AND the two Royaltys on the front lawn. So I think we're covered here LOL...

The Dolgos get ENORMOUS, I'm super excited to get one!