Dominique Chickens

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
boggybranch said:
My grandmother always called em Domineckers. I'm leaning toward them to raise. Trying to connect to happier times and memories, when things were much simplier and slower.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Sustainable-Farming/Dominique-chickens-heritage-poultry.aspx
When I was younger they were a common sight around farmhoses because they needed no special care. So long as they had a protected place to roost in at night they pretty much hunted up their own food. They were pretty good layers but kind of scrawny in the pot.
They're pretty high strung as I remember. Even more so than leghorns.
Nowadays you will see them only in chicken fanciers pens.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Many hatcheries offer them. Quality varies as much as it does in any breed.

Had some bantams until dogs wiped out my flock. They were extremely docile.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
seedcorn said:

Dogs still living....or did they "dissappear"? :D

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know, Dad (92 y-o) calls them Domineckers also but claims that they didn't amount to much on the farm in New Mexico where he grew up. Besides, those barred birds are like static on teevee, they make me dizzy ;). I was a near total wreck when I had an entire flock of Barred Rocks :rolleyes:.

I like the rose comb, tho'. My old Silver Spangled Hamburg, Gabe, was stunningly beautiful, I thought. Yeah, give me irregular spots - something clear, to focus on.

The BR I have now is the best layer but I have to keep her with Black Australorps just to calm the scene down a little. Now., if they would just bring White Australorps to the US, I'd be happy. Get those black and white spots moved at a reasonable distance from each other :).

Steve

PS: Dad's not too clear about a lot of things, anymore.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
boggybranch said:
seedcorn said:

Dogs still living....or did they "dissappear"? :D
Would have been an excellent addition to the soil, if I would have caught them. They did it early AM before anyone was up. Reason I think it was dogs was fox/coyottes would carry them off to eat them. Dogs just kill and leave lay.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
digitS' said:
I don't know, Dad (92 y-o) calls them Domineckers also but claims that they didn't amount to much on the farm in New Mexico where he grew up. Besides, those barred birds are like static on teevee, they make me dizzy ;). I was a near total wreck when I had an entire flock of Barred Rocks :rolleyes:.

I like the rose comb, tho'. My old Silver Spangled Hamburg, Gabe, was stunningly beautiful, I thought. Yeah, give me irregular spots - something clear, to focus on.

The BR I have now is the best layer but I have to keep her with Black Australorps just to calm the scene down a little. Now., if they would just bring White Australorps to the US, I'd be happy. Get those black and white spots moved at a reasonable distance from each other :).

Steve

PS: Dad's not too clear about a lot of things, anymore.
Domino chickens would drive you nuts then. They have little white polka dots on black feathers. :rolleyes:

jamespm_98

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I started with two birds and have 10 now, it's addictive. They are my stress reliever, after a long day I go down, gather my eggs, feed a little scratch and forget whatever stresses me. My garden and my chickens help me keep my sanity.

I never realized how soothing it can be to have a garden and a few animals. I think they force you to slow down mentally. With the garden often I have to wait till next year to fix what I did wrong. Its not just go go go, you actually have to think, plan, wonder and wait.

I say go for it, they are little trouble, you get free fertilizer and eggs. I have run the numbers, they pay for themselves if you cost eggs at the "free range or all natural" price. This isn't counting cost of the free fertilizer from their "poo". To supplement the feed bill let them eat all your garden and kitchen waste. In fact I keep my compost pile in the run, they turn, add plenty of "poo" and entertain themselves digging out bugs and bits of things to eat. I no longer purchase any fertilizer since my flock produces enough compost.

Latest posts