Done with the beans!

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have picked my last green bean. We canned up 42 quarts and 25 pints and Dew blanched and froze another 23 quarts yesterday while I was cutting the grass and reworking the compost pile. Dew has a friend that is supposed to come over in a few days and pick what she wants, then I'm pulling the plants and trying a fall corn crop. I've never tried this before, but the calendar says I'll just have time before the first early frost.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh My Goodness that is a lot of beans! Good for you. We are just seeing tiny little beans now! They had a tough start with rabbits. :barnie You must love having a longer growing season, with time for some extra fresh goodies before frost. :thumbsup

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Awesome! I hope your corn does well and does not get hit by monsoon rains, hail, meteors, tornados, earthquakes, blizzards, locusts, or chewed up by starving, rabid, buck-toothed deer with corn deficiency disease. :lol:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monty, what kind of beans did you plant? How long are the rows? I know Dew said something about a reduced number of rows, but I was wondering how many feet of row you have, to produce that amount. You all sure have a lot more energy than I have! :/

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This season Bay, I'm not counting anything out!

Lucky, I only planted 3 rows about 40' long. Production was way down from previous years, but 2 pickings still gave us enough. The variety is Blue Lake Bush. In the past we have canned over 100 quarts from the first picking alone, from 5 rows of the same length. We have enough now to carry us well into next years canning season.

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
42 Quarts? :ep I have gotten two beans off my plants. something went way wrong. great plants - no bloom, no beans

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Why did Dew freeze the last few? Run out of jars?

I've some mature beans on one of the rows of seed I am growing out for Bluejay, but so far all my others are mostly just working on getting bushy.

I've been wanting to plant a few more things, more sweet corn being one of them. I won't expect a first frost until around Oct. 19th at the earliest (and past two years have gone until the very last week of October for me), so with a conservative estimate, we should have about 98 more growing days left. If it keeps on raining 2-3 times a week like it has been, I'm sure it would germinate very quickly too! I've been holding off on planting anything else until I get my weedy nightmare under control though. :/

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A couple of reasons Journey. We like fresh, steamed beans now and then, and these freeze really well. Also, I was working in the yard so couldn't help with the canner. When it's full, Dew has a very hard time trying to lift it. We have hundreds of jars. No danger of running out of those ;)

Latest posts