Dr. Martin pole Lima beans

Muggins

Sprout
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new here but have gardened for nearly 40 years. About 25 years ago I subscribed to organic gardening magazine. There was a artical about Dr. Martin pole Lima beans and I had to try them. They are a family heirloom raised by a family in New Jersy, John Guyer (Fern Hill Farm). I ordered these beans which were seven cents each which I thought was way to much at the time but so what I try somethin new every year. Anyway the instructions were to plant 6' apart and to use heavy poles up to 8' high (who were they kidding). Well in my infinite wisdon I used field fence and planted 2' apart. Was I in for an awakening they didin't lie. I had them all over the ground so leason learned. The following year I followed the instructions and put in 4x4 posts and used concrete reinforcing wire and have used them ever since (25 years). These are the best lima beans I have ever tried with pods 5 to 6 inches long easy to shell and seeds up to 5 beans per pod the size of a teaspoon. I don't know if they are still avalable since I talked to John several years back and his wife passed away and he was deciding weather to continue selling seed. He did say he was working with a major seed supplier to see if the wanted to raise and sell the beans but I never heard back from him. Now that I've given you a little back ground. As I said I have raised these beans for 25 years and saved seed ever year. I am willing to share any extra seed I have if anyone is interested I only ask you pay postage for shipping. This is such a good bean I would like to see it spread aroud so that if I have a bad year as I did last year it can be saved and not go by the wayside. I would also ask anyone who gets them to share with others.

Oh there is a trick to germinate this bean it is so large that I place them between damp paper towels on a try and put in aplastic bag unsealed then place it in a warm place like on top of the refrigerator untill they sprout, carefully peal the skin off and put in large styrafoam cups with hole in bottom and potting soil untill two mature leaves are set then plant in garden. They don't do well with direct planting.

I would also like to say how greatfull I am to John if by chance your still with us.

Ken

Muggins

Sprout
Reaction score
Wisher1000

I planted 30 plants as I described in two rows eight feet apart and 50 feet long so they get lots of sun light on each side. I harvested enough to put up 65 1# quart bags for the freezer. That dosen't count what we ate or gave away. By the way I live in south western Ohio on 138 acers about an hour north of Cincinnati. Hasen't been farmed for about 50 years all woods medow for wild life. Not may people have heard of Darrtown population 800 last census.

Ken

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I would love to have some if you still have them. Just let me know and I will send stamps, money, whatever. I want them for my mother, age 81. She said no more bunch beans or limas because too hard on her knees.

oldchickenman

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have been searching for these beans for awhile now i would loveto have some let me know how much thanks .

Muggins

Sprout
Reaction score
Hey,

Any of you want the lima bean seeds reply with your address to kenamenke@yahoo.com I'm sending seeds now. Use heading lima beans so I know what it's for I won't open trash. Wendy I am sending yours and I droped Gwens of to her when I was in Birdstown. oldchickenman, wsmoak,Wisher1000 let me know asap.

Ken

Latest posts