Dr Order For Summer

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monty's post about over doing it and having a head ache reminded me of a trip to ER. During a bad heat wave I had a head ache and dizzy spells. This lasted for a few days before I called a friend and said I might need to see a Dr. She dropped everything, picked me up took me to ER. I a was told I was dehydrated and needed fluids. While hooked up to IV Dr told me best thing you can do is eat a banana every day, it would help replace whats lost in sweat. I love bananas wish all Dr advise so easy to follow!!! PS a old rose grower told me a banana skin placed under a rose bush was her secret for great roses..

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had an IV in me only once. The experience went right into the category of those I do not want to repeat.

Yesterday afternoon, I was wondering where that 4pm cup of coffee went. I was out in 96° and bright sunshine ... drank a Gatorade on the way from one garden to the next. That didn't seem to go anywhere either.

NyBoy. There are also other concerns associated with dehydration. Stay fluid.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Despite having that great (empty) cup holder on the new lawn tractor, I am no feeling overly affected by the heat. Other than at meals I seldom think of stopping for a drink. Perhaps I am a bit more aware since DH was so severely dehydrated by the time we went to the ER and I keep asking if he wants me to get him a drink, but if he says no I don't bother for myself.

I do know there have been evenings when I down more than a quart at one sitting so I probably should have been drinking off and on throughout the day. I also know that coffee, tea, and sodas are tasting really awful right now. The only thing I've had to drink for the past few weeks is fresh, cold well water. Yummmmmm!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
With out temps in the mid 90's and the dew point in the 70's I make it a point to stop and get some water every 45 minutes at the most. I drink coffee in the morning, probably too much, but all I drink afterwards is water. I don't measure how much, just a lot. Water with lunch and supper. I normally go back out after supper to work when it is a bit cooler, though I'm still soaked with sweat in a few minutes. A big tumbler of water or sometimes two after I take my shower and settle down for the night. My father and grandfather both had serious kidney issues later in life. I try to keep mine flushed out.

I will occasionally have an adult beverage but it is limited in volume and not that often an occurrence, mainly when with company or we eat out. But water is my normal drink even when we eat out.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been dizzy in the heat in the past. I always avoided salt and kept my intake low figuring it's not good for you. However we need salt-I was eating too little. Best intentions...

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I was 19 or 20, my younger brother and I cut tobacco in extreme heat (upper 90's, no wind) one Friday while everyone else was a their jobs, getting it ready for the crew of uncles and others to come in on Saturday, some to start hauling and some to finish cutting. It was my cousin's tobacco patch. We did not drink enough water and suffered heat exhaustion. Weak, dizzy, sick to the stomach. I tried to help the next day but I wasn't worth much. My brother wasn't even up to that. It was Burley tobacco, not dark-fired. Most of the harvesting you see in the movies is dark-fired, a different procedure.

The next year we were cutting our tobacco with help from the same relatives. I was feeling OK ands was the second fastest single person there cutting and spearing tobacco almost keeping up with a two man team of uncles and barely trailing my cousin. That same cousin made a smart-aleck comment about what set me on fire. I just told him I had not had heat exhaustion the previous day. He wasn't a real nice person but he had the sense to shut up.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm a big believer in water drinking. I've heard that a lot of diseases are partly due to chronic dehydration. In the summer I drink whether I feel thirsty or not, starting the morning with a 20 oz. glass of water before anything else, and taking plenty to work with me, then always rehydrating when I get home.

I always know when I'm not consuming enough water because I'll get a headache in the small hours of the morning, and charley horses in my legs.

I think if you're not used to drinking a lot your body doesn't send that thirsty signal as readily until you've gone beyond the point where a glass of water isn't enough.
Now that I'm a heavy drinker :p I am aware of needing fluids immediately. Some days the sweat just flows like a river and I can easily consume the gallon that I pack with my lunch.

My mil visited us one summer and as we drove around doing the tourist thing she sipped microscopic amounts from a 12 oz. water bottle. That bottle was in the car for 3 days and she never finished it. But she told me she drank a LOT of water as a habit. :confused: Huh? She's been hospitalized at least twice for dehydration.

Oh and bananas are such a great thing to replenish potassium with too, that's why they're offered at grueling sports events.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
For dehydration ;
1 teaspoon of salt
5 teaspoons of sugar
Mix in a glass of water and drink slowly. If you are overheated, dehydrated, and you guzzler it, you might throw up. Ask me how I know.....

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know, lots of people (like me) take medicine that gives you a dry mouth, and I tend to take small sips of water very often all day. I have to remind myself to actually drink the water, not just sip at it.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, a dry mouth,too, but I'm blessed with one that make my mouth taste like I just threw up. DH wonders why I seem to be snacking all day. It's to get the taste of something better in my mouth!

Ah, for life as we imagined it when we were young. . .