Dreaded cucumber beetle question.

HEChicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@baymule I did go ahead and google them. I bet we get them in this area but I've never seen them because I don't grow any of the crops you mentioned. I certainly have enough of my own pests to deal with but I'm thankful not to have to deal with these - by all accounts they are nasty little buggers. Wikipedia said the adults will attack the tender new growth while the larvae will burrow into the soil to attack the roots.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I remember the first time I had a real problem with bugs in the vines. I was wondering what was the problem with the plants. They were going downhill at a breakneck speed!

I lifted them up a little and it was Bug City! They were panicked! I was panicked! Aahhh! Poor plants were just miserable.

"Next time. Next time I'm out here, bugs. You better be out of here."

Probably, most of them ignored that advice. Whatever fruit was already on the vines was scarred but the plants had fresh, clean growth in a week or two.

It only happens every few years here. I think the quail may be helping me out.

Steve

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is weird how I've never seen squash or stink bugs, or cucumber beetles. I guess we don't have them over here. We do have aphids and snails and slugs though. But I think these are lesser evils than your bugs.

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, surprizingly the slugs leave my tomatoes alone. I just have to watch it when I plant starts of beans. They will gobble those up. Later on when the pole green beans grow, there are small holes in them. But I don't think their slugs because there is no shiney slim trails. Must be some type of beatle that I can't see.

Mary