Dried roses

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So now that they are growing, I would like to make something out of them after they've bloomed. Ideas? Potporri recipes?:)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
desertgirl said:
So now that they are growing, I would like to make something out of them after they've bloomed. Ideas? Potporri recipes?:)
A good trick is to use a wide mouthed glass jar. Put a flower in the jar petals up and bury it in silca jel as a drying agent. In a couple of weeks you can take the flower out and turn it upside down to gently shake the gel out. Caution, roses and other thin petaled flowers are VERy delicate when dried. they shatter easily so don't expect them to last a long time. You can always use shattered petals in your potpouri. There is a very fine type sold as Flower Dri just for this purpose though you may have to go on line to find it.

(Added later) I found a link for it. You can use it over and over. Once it is saturated you put it in the oven for a while and it's ready to go again so it isn't as expensive as it appears at first.
http://catalog.adcoa.net/viewitems/silica-gel/flower-dri-

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hoodat said:
desertgirl said:
A good trick is to use a wide mouthed glass jar. Put a flower in the jar petals up and bury it in silca jel as a drying agent. In a couple of weeks you can take the flower out and turn it upside down to gently shake the gel out. Caution, roses and other thin petaled flowers are VERy delicate when dried. they shatter easily so don't expect them to last a long time. You can always use shattered petals in your potpouri. There is a very fine type sold as Flower Dri just for this purpose though you may have to go on line to find it.

(Added later) I found a link for it. You can use it over and over. Once it is saturated you put it in the oven for a while and it's ready to go again so it isn't as expensive as it appears at first.
http://catalog.adcoa.net/viewitems/silica-gel/flower-dri-
That's great! Exactly what I was looking for-thanks!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
When my husband and I were dating, I dried and saved the petals from every rose he gave me (which were many!) Most all came from his father's spectacular rose garden . I laid mine out on an old window screen to dry. 7 years later and I can't believe it, but they still have their scent! I've had them in a ziploc bag, intending to make *something* out of them sometime. :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
desertgirl said:
I'm planning on making rose water and jelly from the petals of mine when they get going enough. :) My first buds have just come along, and look like they may open in the next week.

desertgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem said:
desertgirl said:
I'm planning on making rose water and jelly from the petals of mine when they get going enough. :) My first buds have just come along, and look like they may open in the next week.
That sounds wonderful! Any recipes????

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow

I hate to be squashy about this but you need very specific rose varieties which are heavily perfumed to get a a tasty jelly & rose water etc, That is why rose water & rose perfumes are so expensive. Last year we had a thread on it -- I think HiDelight started it. I listed the varieties & a lot of links. There is a big industry in Bulgaria & Turkey & surrounging areas which produce most of this rare & valuable product.

Good luck & :love

:rose Hattie :rose

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Check over on BYC- MissPrissy just posted directions for rose petal jelly. She says you should harvest the flowers in the early morning, when they are most fragrant...