Dried Tomatoes...

jen4

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
lesa - I dried them all day... didnt time it sorry I would just check them through out the day... my temp. was on 140. I've read you can store them in a plastic baggie for 2 months or freeze them for 6 months?

How does everyone store theirs?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think the length of time will vary some by how thick the chunks are, your humidity, how hot it is set, and how many you do at a time. I'd suggest checking them fairly often until you get your own system going.

I dry my cherry tomatoes with the big tomatoes. I split the cherries in two and wash out the seeds. The bigger tomatoes I peel, cut into chunks, and wash off the seeds. I don't slice them nice, neat, and pretty like someone we know.

One thing I recommend. After they have been drying three or so hours, start checking them. When they start to stick, move them around some. Otherwise, they will stick to the tray and can be difficult to remove. One reason I do chunks (other than I am not a neat person) is that the thicker the chunk, the easier it is to get off if it does stick a bit. Of course, it takes longer to dry. You'll work out your own system and you will get good results.

With all that said, I usually start them in the afternoon before supper, loosen them when they start to stick, dry them ovenight, and start checking the next morning. I haven't timed it either, but I'd say mine take about 18 hours total.

I store them in plastic ziplock-type bags in the shelves over the kitchen counter, same area as the spices. I don't know how long they last in the bags as ours don't stay around a long time. They tend to disappear.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just put them in the cheapo vacume bags and suck the air out then freeze ..

it takes one or two times to have one pregnant rogue bug in your dried fruits or vegetables and you will understand :p

even if you meticulously clean and even heat your dried things

that one extra step of tossing them in the freezer really helped ..even if the rogue survives the drying, heating and freezing (and oh yes I have taken a lot of science class and somethings survive everything!) .you will be reassured you stopped time and no more were created before you start munching on your lovely dried tomatoes :)

unclejoe

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
jen4 said:
How does everyone store theirs?
Last year I pureed a bunch then poured it on to leather sheets. When it was dry, I laid it on sheets of wax paper and rolled it up. The sheets were then put in a baggie and stuffed into a mason jar.
I ate a bit of it like you would a fruit roll-up but it was used mainly to thicken the tomato sauce I made.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok- my dehydrator is filled with cherry tomatoes. I left it on all night and they are beginning to dry! Has anyone done this, without removing the seeds? Deseeding two million cherry tomatoes was a little tedious!! I am excited, these will be great on pizza throughout the winter!

valmom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I really don't think I will get enough tomatoes to be worth drying this year. It hasn't been sunny enough. But, I am going to- some year!

Beatrice

Sprout
Reaction score
Keep your dried tomatoes in the freezer or refridgerator to keep them fresh. They have a tendency to darken at room temp. They rehydrate in a short time in soups, stews, etc. They can be rehydrated in hot to boiling water very quickly, also. If you use larger tomatoes, dip the fresh tomatoes in hot water for about 30 seconds to 1 minute and remove immediately to iced water. The skins remove easily. Then slice open and remove seeds. They pop right out and then dry in dehydrator. Store in air tight jar or freezer bag and freeze or refridgerate. Yummy when crumbled on salads or as garnish. We rehydrate them in boiling water and drain and put on hamburgers with sauted onions. Absolutely wonderful and cost effective in comparison with buying a tomatoe.

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm thinking I will dehydrate the huge amount of tomatoes I have right now. Silly question, do you all peel before drying or is that necessary?

Latest posts