Drilling Holes in Seeds 4 Beads

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
How would you go about drilling holes in seeds for use as beads? In particular tiny ones, like cowpeas. I've tried using a tiny needle but each and every time the seed just splits in half. I've manged to turn some Lettered Olive shells that I found in Florida a decade ago into beads, but not seeds.

I could also use ideas for clamps.

Trying to make a ridiculously late Valentines gift. I was snowed in that day so couldn't go anywhere, just recently thought about making a necklace.
Go to a jewelry making site. I bet they have tools to buy and tools where you can borrow they ideas.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was my first thought also, @PhilaGardener , or steaming them soft enough to pierce.
I think it will take a drill instead of piercing to keep from shattering, but I've not tried either.

I don't do much with beading, but I found some neat ideas in a blog. Looks like fun!

The Etsy Blog - Natural Bean Jewelry

Dremels are not real expensive if you don't have one @TheSeedObsesser, and drill sets are under $10. I know that doesn't help much for your already late gift.

Great tutorial! I was really skeptical that they would split, but that seems to prove that it can be done.

Dave2000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I can tell you what I would do. I'd try two wooden popsicle sticks, or pliers, to hold the seed while drilling with a carbide PCB drilling bit in a drill press - but those bits are very brittle, I wouldn't try using that type with a hand drill or dremel tool.

The other option for holding them still would be to freeze them in a shallow pan with water just up to the top of the seeds, then that will hold them still while you drill... taking them out of the pan of course unless it's disposable.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with, SeedO. I know we talked about this briefly on the Bean thread or somewhere thereabouts.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got some gorgeous little beans called Blooming Prairie at the seed swap in KY. They are the color of Texas bluebonnets. They would make a lovely necklace I think. :)

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
WOW, I wasn't expecting so many replies! Thanks, everybody, you've been a lot of help!

I think that my dad should have many, if not all of these tools. He works a job repairing all sorts of things made out of stone. I'll have to ask him later, he's gone now (with my sister at the OAA testing site). Better get cracking on what I can be working on thought, I'd like to have the necklace done by Sunday.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
LOL, I don't know about that Lavender. I'm generally not good with handling tiny things, I've stuck the needle in my finger so many times just preparing the shells.

Latest posts