Droning on.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I happened on a couple of guys flying a drone recently. It was early in the morning and we were the only people indoors or out for 100 yards, or so. I thought I knew them or knew who they are but as I approached them, realized that I didn't.

I said flying the drone looked wonderful and made a light comment about using it as a helicopter ambulance. The response from one or the other was a grunt, "uhn."

Twenty word appreciative comment on my part elicits a grunt. I'm trying to think of when that form of communication is polite or even appropriate.

A few minutes later, they climbed in their "pocket rocket" and left. Behind, on both sides of their car was trash. Empty bag and Jack-in-the-Box carton.

A little while later, and having picked up the trash, I drove past some homeless people. They were tossing a roll of toilet paper around, seemingly for fun. There was a tipped over trash can nearby. Later, I drove by again and noted that the trash can had been set upright, litter cleaned up around it.

I went astray on using a drone for ambulance service - maybe heart monitor. Litter cleanup is a real problem. Roomba? Trashdango?

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Perhaps they were rude because they needed a cup of coffee themselves. Could a drone deliver coffee? Hum. I suspect it could be adapted to bring the Starbucks when needed.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
it's a shame when someone makes polite conversation with someone and they don't reciprocate. If it had been me, I would have chatted with you Steve. :)

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
:)

How might UPS use drones for delivery? Send them out from a central warehouse? Maybe not.

By the way, if you first see a advertisement with a person paragliding, that is not the drone video ;). But, if you wait for the ad to finish, you will see some of how UPS is testing drone delivery. The text is the written part of the story. I missed the video at first:

http://fortune.com/2017/02/21/ups-drone-deliveries-florida/

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The following post has nothing to do with drones, (other than that's what I'm doing), but it does contain a reference to UPS. :D

I had 2 boxes delivered last week from UPS. I was expecting 2 so that was not out of the ordinary, I opened the first one and it contained the stuff I ordered, opened box 2 and pulled out 1 of 4 baby bottles... wha...??

Sometimes I'm on the computer in the evening doing a little comparison shopping when I'm drowsy, but I'm quite sure that I definitely did not order baby bottles. :confused:

The box was addressed to me, but there was no paperwork in it. I guess I'll have to figure out how to send it back to Amazon somehow without getting charged for shipping.

Kind of weird...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, the advertising that I see on most webpages follows me around and sometimes -- I wonder if it's not just learning from my searches but reading my mind!

Yesterday, I picked up some meds at the pharmacy. While I was signing for them I told the lady behind the counter that I had a dream last week. "In my dream, we are no longer using ID - sometime in the future. Instead, we are identified by our medicines." "Maybe not too far wrong!" she replied. ... what else could they do to identify us?

Now, about those baby bottles ....

:) from the article: "Dodero said he did not know what was in the package, calling it an 'insignificant' detail. He joked that UPS employees 'don’t look inside customers’ packages.'"

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Obviously I'm clueless about how UPS packs their boxes. I've heard that it's mostly automated. So somewhere there is a person expecting baby bottles, and I wonder if instead when they open their box they'll find the hand lenses I ordered for the garden class.
Maybe they ought to look in a few boxes to see if the order is right.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I once bought some china off ebay, when the box came I never opened it, I was bringing it to country house. About a week later I got a PM from journey asking if the paw paws ever come. When I looked at return address it was from journey, first time I ever tasted paw paw loved them

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, the advertising that I see on most webpages follows me around and sometimes -- I wonder if it's not just learning from my searches but reading my mind!

Yesterday, I picked up some meds at the pharmacy. While I was signing for them I told the lady behind the counter that I had a dream last week. "In my dream, we are no longer using ID - sometime in the future. Instead, we are identified by our medicines." "Maybe not too far wrong!" she replied. ... what else could they do to identify us?

Now, about those baby bottles ....

:) from the article: "Dodero said he did not know what was in the package, calling it an 'insignificant' detail. He joked that UPS employees 'don’t look inside customers’ packages.'"

Steve
Any thing I look at at any site shows on TEG along the side. Along with my yahoo email. They are watching us.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I happened on a couple of guys flying a drone recently. It was early in the morning and we were the only people indoors or out for 100 yards, or so. I thought I knew them or knew who they are but as I approached them, realized that I didn't.

I said flying the drone looked wonderful and made a light comment about using it as a helicopter ambulance. The response from one or the other was a grunt, "uhn."

Twenty word appreciative comment on my part elicits a grunt. I'm trying to think of when that form of communication is polite or even appropriate.

Steve

It is a daily routine for me to greet each truck driver with 'Good Morning' or 'Morning'. It is a RARE occurrence for some of them to reply in any way. I have 3 that refuse to even glance in my direction. o_O
I still smile and make 'eye contact' with the side of their heads...
Manners - I suppose - are more about the person showing them than the person ignoring them.