Droopy snake plant

chickflick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have this big snake plant (mother-in-law tongue) The leaves are suppose to be stiff and stand straight up. Well, mine are droopy. Can anyone tell me why and what I need to do to help it stand proud again?? :weight

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow, I've never seen a snake plant *droop*. You're sure it's a snake plant, not like a corn plant (I believe it's a Dracaena but too lazy to look it up) or something else?

If it *is* a snake plant, and drooping (and let me repeat, wow, I didn't know they were capable of that, although I've seen 'em dying in other ways) the first thing to look for would be root rot; the second possibility would be radically insufficient light such that the plant is making tall spindly weak growth that just can't support itself.

Good luck,

Pat

chickflick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Nope, not a Dracaena. Definately a Sansevieria...snake plant. Maybe I'm giving it too much TLC. :idunno

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have never heard of that either! the drooping ..I know they love low light and thrive in damp areas (my mother has them growing in her yard) and they thrive on neglect I guess

how old is the plant ..was it well established?

call the master gardener in your area sometimes they can advise on house plants (I have gotten help from them before)

I would love to hear what the answer is

good luck I hope your plant revitalizes

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have seen this happen with my Mom's snake plant - for two reasons. The most common for her, because she forgets to water it for months at a time! Also, I have seen it happen, when she remembers it too much and drowns it! It is so easy to propagate, if you have a few good leaves, cut them off at an angle, put them in a pot of dirt, water and wait! Good luck!

chickflick

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks guys for your help! I might give it too much TLC...water every week. Maybe I need to do it every couple of weeks. Maybe I'll try to propagate the darn thing!

Latest posts