Droopy Tomato

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I put in a couple of Sweet 100 tomatoes this year (in addition to a few Arkansas Travelers, Romas, and some mystery seedlings and volunteer transplants from my neighbor). One took off, grew like crazy (~4' tall), set a bunch of brackets of wee tomatoes, and then suddenly drooped like it was thirsty. The plant itself was still upright, but the leaves were all hanging. I drowned it the first day, ignored it the second day, and for the rest of the week made sure it was in sorta-damp soil. It never improved. The leaves were still green, but really really limp. Like, dead limp.

None of my other tomatoes, including this one's surviving 3-pack sibling, have done this. I water daily, the soil doesn't get dry (huzzah for newspaper mulch!). It wasn't a cutworm. Although I do admit that perhaps my soil quality isn't the greatest, wouldn't neighbor plants be suffering also?

I gave up and pulled it, and it had a shockingly small rootball going on.

Do I need to feed? Water more deeply? Was this a fluke?
When the last Sweet 100 sets enough tomatoes to be exciting, will it do the same? I'm juuuust starting to get fruit set on the toms and am a bit worried about seeing this again.

Our temps had been reasonable, and I'd've thunk that wind would have affected more than one plant...???

Thanks. :)

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have had the same problem, joz. Sweet 100, grown from saved seed, all of a sudden it wilts. Now I also had this problem with a San Marzano and a Beefsteak. The odd thing is it was only 1 plant of each variety.

I expect some wilting due to heat and it has been really hot here (high 90's already). Of course it was only in the 40's a few nights in the same time period, highs in the 60's. A lot of temperature fluctuation the last two weeks. These instances occurred over probably a 10 day-2 week period. The plants recovered overnight, although a few leaves did get a bit "burned". The wilting on my plants was mainly on the newest growing tips and leaves. The only thing I can possibly attribute it to is fertilizing a bit too much/not watering the fertilizer in enough.

I don't have any answer for you, wish I did, I am just commiserating with your frustration. I didn't pull any of my plants, and so far all seem to have gotten over these growing pains and are setting fruit. Maybe one of our tomato guru's can provide more insight. :)

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If it had just been new growth that wilted, I'd've kept the plant. EVERY leaf was hanging like wet tissue, for 6 days. :(

I was worried it might be a virus (which one, I don't know... there didn't appear to be any discoloration beyond the odd burned spot from watering in the sun), and was reluctant to sacrifice the rest of my plants.

Its "sibling" plant isn't nearly so large or prolific, tho it is finally setting a few brachts.

(Brachts? Brackets? Bunches?)

The Sweet 100s were supposed to be my failsafe plants, in case the others (heirlooms, mystery varieties, hybrid grab-bags) either didn't make it or were terrible. Aren't cherries the weeds of the tomato family?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Joz...sorry I can't help you. The same thing has happened to me but with a jalapeno plant. The entire plant is wilted. The other 3 right next to it are just as healthy as can be. Our weather here is high 60's and I know they weren't dry. I've been watering every 3 days, don't have the heart yet to pull it out. I keep hoping but I know it won't come back.

Mary

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thought I would update this thread as I *think* I have figured out what was causing the problem with a few of my tomato plants. Evil, over-achieving voles!

I don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner. I have a bumper crop of them this year. If I could train them, I could get all my tilling done in short order because they are tunneling non-stop. I am thinking they damaged the roots on a few of those tomato plants and the intense heat coupled with the root damage/decreased water uptake ability is what fried some of those leaves and growing tips. It's always something. :barnie

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is really discouraging, to have something just kill off the things you work so hard to raise. I bet it was voles.
We have several outdoor kitties (our grandchildrens) actually seven spayed females and one male. and they are incredible mousers and vole -mole catchers! Found a big plump mole laid out on the drive way just this morning. :ep

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grandbabies, I can't imagine how many voles there must be- my cats have been killing them on a daily basis!! They tunneled under my black eyed susan's, and even killed them. That is hard to do!
I planted 30 plus tomatoes and one of them died. It really doesn't look there was an obvious reason....

Latest posts