Drought in the West

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
As it seems the rest of the country is buried under snow (precious water) I wanted to provide a few pics of our local New Melones Reservoir in my county.

New Melones is normally 20 square miles of surface area (remember algebra?) but right now is 203 feet below that full amount. Its bad folks...We're all gonna have to migrate eastward for moisture....

I'm standing on one of the 2 major bridges, neither of which have their stanchions in water any more. That is a speed boat below. The next pics are of one of several boat launches - only one is open and you need to go over gravel and rocks to get to it, waaay down there. Sad times for us out here!

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lake Pillsbury is not quite that low. We're around 65% right now.

I just messaged some of my campers to do rain dances. Suggested to them to have RAIN DANCE PARTIES. That's the kind of talking they understand, lol.

I have been sifting in native clay soil into my compost-ash soil mix in my raised beds. Hoping for increased moisture retention.

I think it'll be another hot dry summer!

Lima beans will adore that! But not even trying any coccineus runner beans this summer.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
What about the Applegate Valley and Grant's Pass. Does that still hold promise for you, @murphysranch ?

I worry about the Siskiyou Mountains and that border country. Not just because I have cousins who live there but because the forest there is so unique and, now, vulnerable.

Moving inland, the country never had much ability to support a forest so it's not that large of an area and may be shrinking because of fires.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wish I could see pictures. We had drought in 2011 in Texas. It was heartbreaking to watch trees die. Pastures can come back in a season or two, 100 year old trees turning brown and dead was sad. I hope you get enough rain for the trees to survive.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve: After two trips in 2 weeks up there and a failed offer on a place, we have put that on hold for now. Very disappointed. You know what the most alluring thing was for our relocation? Water. Water everywhere. And the next thing was? Space. At least an acre.

We'll try again in about a year or so. Sigh...Will have to keep dumping the sink water, multiple times a day, over the railing to keep our plants and garden watered.

Latest posts