Drought tolerant ground cover

almanorigo

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hi all. I am trying to get my yard in order and have a large-ish area with dry, dusty dirt. My garden beds are back there, a patio and a small garden. I have put down stepping stones to get around but now I need a ground cover. I would like to try a seed given the amount of space, would like something that can handle foot traffic and is drought tolerant. I know it will need the water in the beginnin. I am in northern California, zone 6.
Thanks!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gee, that sounds a bit challenging....I am not anywhere near your zone- I would check around in the area, and see what others are using with success. I know there are all kinds of drought resistant plants- but not sure about ground cover type. What about using stones and adding plants here and there?

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa gave some good advice. I can't think of anything off-hand, either. How large is "large-ish"?

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm in Angels Camp and I cannot think of anything that would be foot friendly. How about some pea gravel or some bark from Lowes, with a few succulents placed strategically?

Edited to add: my asparagus ferns are very drought hardy. I plan on removing their drips to use the water to keep other things alive.

almanorigo

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks! I hadn't thought of gravel or rock (or bark) since I plan on using that area but with low growing, spreading plants it may work. I will have to go measure it and see what I can come up with.

almanorigo

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just measured, it is roughly 50x50. There are a half dozen raised beds, a patio, three trees and a garden bed.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lowes has a very pretty ice plant - its prostate and so I bought one for my fountain succulent project, suggested here on TEG. Its thin leaved, yellow flowers.

Monrovia - Wheels of Wonder - Golden Wonder Ice Plant. Full sun, low water once established. Completely hardy in your's and my areas here, even at my elevation - -10 to -20 degrees F.

flowerweaver

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When our lawn died in the Texas drought of 2011 we replaced it with Straggler Daisy (also called Horse Herb), which was already growing on our property. It takes our foot/dog/lawn tractor traffic pretty well, only grows about 4 inches tall (but can be high cut a couple times a year to neaten) and has a tiny yellow flower, grows well in sun and shade, and needs very little water. I'm sure it is the answer for lawns of the future. It's native to all the continental 48 states, and is becoming more available in the native nursery trade. http://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=CAVI2

Last edited:

Latest posts