Drying Persimmons

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if they were dried with the peel and then reconstituted when you used them would you just grind them up in a blender? i don't know the texture of these at all... i don't bother to peel the red peppers after i roast them so they're a bit chewy when i do use them, but i figure the extra fiber is good for me anyways so i just chew well. :)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got some free persimmons on craigslist last year. The woman was chinese and she gave some dried ones to my husband for me to try. She explained how she did them but of course he didn't pay close attention. They were Fuyu's with the skins left on. She dried them on racks with the stems cut off. They were very good. I'm going to see if he kept her contact number to get more this year. She gave me a whole box full last time.

Mary

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I still have a lot on the tree, so the next ones I try drying, I dont think I will peel this time. I'm sure I didnt last year either.

You might try splitting some open with a knife and drying some whole. The ones split open should dry a lot faster but trial and error may help you figure out your preferred way.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got some free persimmons on craigslist last year. The woman was chinese and she gave some dried ones to my husband for me to try. She explained how she did them but of course he didn't pay close attention. They were Fuyu's with the skins left on. She dried them on racks with the stems cut off. They were very good. I'm going to see if he kept her contact number to get more this year. She gave me a whole box full last time.

Mary

The other thing I did differently this year was to trim off the green leaf things ontop of the fruit. I'm wondering if that made it slower for them to dry out as they would have helped draw out moisture.
It would be really interesting to hear what your supplier said to do.

Trish Stretton

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
if they were dried with the peel and then reconstituted when you used them would you just grind them up in a blender? i don't know the texture of these at all... i don't bother to peel the red peppers after i roast them so they're a bit chewy when i do use them, but i figure the extra fiber is good for me anyways so i just chew well. :)

The texture is sort of like a soft jube lollie/sweet.
I would love to be able to grow a decent pepper, maybe next season. I'm dribbling as I read what you guys are getting up to and cant wait to get my vegie garden back into production properly.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The other thing I did differently this year was to trim off the green leaf things ontop of the fruit. I'm wondering if that made it slower for them to dry out as they would have helped draw out moisture.
It would be really interesting to hear what your supplier said to do.

i'm curious too, i wonder if quartering or slicing in coins would work for drying racks or such.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
The texture is sort of like a soft jube lollie/sweet.
I would love to be able to grow a decent pepper, maybe next season. I'm dribbling as I read what you guys are getting up to and cant wait to get my vegie garden back into production properly.

you'll have your space back now. :)

Latest posts