Ducks 4 in '24

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I found yet aNOTHER interesting seed company,
Anybody buy from them?
Never heard of them.

As regards your other post, when I get a packet with a scant 10 or so seeds, I'm very particular about where I place them in a pot/container. So maybe the plants fare better than my marigolds whose seeds (as you said) are crazy plentiful. I just stuff a handful of spent blossoms from the previous summer in the dirt and don't bother to thin the plants. They are doomed to struggle for survival in an overpopulated environment, but since they bloom beautifully all summer long in spite of the abuse, I'm careless with planting them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
In life, timing is everything.

Trite but it is a truism and especially appropriate for living with living garden plants. Life Life Life around us ...

The "gardenbetty" link used an address for producing soil. An above ground rabbit hole since reading from the top of the page was a journey through the confusion of days-to-maturity and the tangled thicket of pop-up ads ... okay, I'm interested in others thoughts on d-t-m. Didn't make it anywhere near to life in soil.

Timing. We have clocks and calendars to assist us. Imagine early village farmers relying on things astronomical and benefitting from the observers and keepers of history in their midst. When oak leaves are the size ... when the sun rises behind the signal point and light first falls on the stone ...

"It's been a mild start to the year," the olde guy said last week sitting with me in the waiting room. Yes, wisdom from experience and we also have the written records from the Weather Service. How much current weather and past experience and the balancing act between will occur in my relationship with living plants remains to be realized but then, it should happen. The successful partnership of garden plants and grower depends on it. Few can succeed without the success of the other.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
61 predicted for Friday!!! :weee :weee :weee
I have to use some flexglue on a stall gate bc the hardware piece that screws into a wooden post, or, in this case, a wooden support piece.
The metal has stripped the wood, but it's been too cold to glue it.
Thursday, 56°
Overcast skies and windy. Slight chance of a rain shower. High 56F. Winds S at 20 to 30 mph.

Thu 08 | Night
51°
Windy with rain showers. Low 51F. Winds SSW at 20 to 30 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
Normally, I wouldn't leave the ponies outside on a night in February, but EVERYBODY has a good coat. My MARE has been sweating in her stall!

I need to take the gate off, glue in the bracket and give it time to dry. 3 days is preferable, but I'll take 36 hours.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sad day on Tuesday. My cat Inky suffered a number of strokes and passed away.
I found her in basement on Tuesday, crying. She was unsteady on her feet and DH and I put her on the couch to comfort her.
Usually she didn't like being carried around, but Tuesday she didn't want me to put her down.
I called my Vet, who said it sounded like a stroke. Inky appreciated the attention and was purring while we petted her.
She cried out several times while she was laying on the couch.
I am pretty sure that had several strokes while we were with her and I saw her die there.
I am grateful that I know what happened to her, since we have had several cats just disappear in the past.
Best I can tell, she was about 10 years old. She and her sister were dumped at our barn at about 4 months old.
Her sister never did get friendly, but Inky had become a lap cat. She had a good life,
Inky, 2014-2024, RIP

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I found her in basement on Tuesday, crying. She was unsteady on her feet and DH and I put her on the couch to comfort her.
Usually she didn't like being carried around, but Tuesday she didn't want me to put her down.
I called my Vet, who said it sounded like a stroke. Inky appreciated the attention and was purring while we petted her.
I am pretty sure that had several strokes while we were with her and I saw her die there.
I am grateful that I know what happened to her, since we have had several cats just disappear in the past.
Best I can tell, she was about 10 years old. She and her sister were dumped at our barn at about 4 months old.
Her sister never did get friendly, but Inky had become a lap cat. She had a good life,
Inky, 2014-2024, RIP

i'm sorry she had to go but glad she did not suffer too long in the end.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Inky, 2014-2024, RIP
I'm so sorry for your loss. It's good that you were with her at the end and able to comfort her. Rest in peace, Inky.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am eke-ing out 5 minutes to play here today.
Yesterday DD's, DH and I exchanged Valentine's Day gifts. I guess the best gift I gave DH was NOT the 12 pack of handkerchiefs--there is only one box store that carries them affordably now!
It was the wrapping. I used large sized paper sandwich bags and I wrote on his:
Happy Valentine's Day to KP, the MARVELOUS!!! (it's a pet name)
You never know that a small thing could mean so much.
HE didn't know about the purple calla lillies that I bought to ME from HIM at a local box store. :lol:

Latest posts