Ducks 4 in '24

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am starting a new thread about pollinator plants.
My board is trying to save money and wants to replace grass on our extra properties with pollinator plants.
I REALLY need your input about your own experiences bc I want to be involved in the project and I hope to keep us from planting invasives that will spread to resident's lawns.
Thanks!!
Here is the link:

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
As you know, DD named her new kitten "Digby" after a character from "Beau Geste."
We are planning to rewatch "Beau Geste" soon, Ya know, the 1939 version, one of MANY great films of that year.
Here is one person's list of them.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just heard about these, $2/seed
GMO, BUT the color is uniform bc of genes from snapdragons.
Heard about this, this week on Mid American Gardener. One of the regular guests, U of IL educator and master gardener, intends to grow them this season and report back.
There is a patent, but they ask that growers save seeds.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I rewatched a gardening program with a homeowner had set up tubes and a pump and a timer that went to several hanging baskets with flowers. He watered them every day, but for only 5 minutes/day.
I got to thinking that I have (almost) enough soaker hoses to do that for my 4 rows of beefsteak tomatoes that I have planned for 2024. In my garden, since I use a post hole auger to dig at least 12 inches deep for each tomato plant, I usually only have to get them to root deep enough each season, then I really Don't have to water them.
I know that old time thought as to "puddle" the plants so that the surrounding dry soil wouldn't soak up what you want your plant to have.
My big garden bed has had years of composting and I can use my hand to dig out trenches, if need be.
I believe that if I compost around each tomato, I can water for a few weeks, then not bother, unless we get a severe drought.
I also need to fix my gutters and Add gutters to my garage. I will probably break down and buy several rain barrels at WalMart--I see that they are in stock now and the prices have dropped.
That will be my 2024 $investment. I think I am not taking enough advantage of roof rain water right now.
My 4 car garage was built withOUT gutters, and I have 2 outbuildings without any gutters.
I was thinking about buying 2 rain barrels for the house, 2 rainbarrels for the garage, and maybe one for the tool shed after guttering the garage and tool shed.
I have plenty of hoses to move water to my beds.
Big project, but 2 years in a row I have had to pull water from the barn cistern (filled with percalating rain/snow water and the 2 gutters that empty from the barn underground,) bc I have drained it.
I don't think I have been watering correctly.
Certainly food for thought...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Both pots have a sealed greenhouse of a ziplock bag, are in the shelves by the south facing kitchen window.
NO rosemary Yet. I decided to vent it for awhile.
I will keep checking...
Last time I DIDN'T check something like this I found tomato seedling corpses.

Last edited:

Latest posts