Ducks 4 in '24

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
OMGOSH!! I had forgotten that This is my setup! I had 2 of them, gave one to middle DD, used to be available a local box store, no just online, and $20 more!
Replacement bulbs available for me at my local Menard's.
  • 10k Hours of Life
That's leaving it on constantly for about 14 months straight, but you are going to want to have a replacement bulb on hand. I took it upon myself to buy a replacement back in early January, when gardeners weren't looking for them.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would buy THIS, but shipping would triple the price, so I struggle through with the 3 timers where you press down on the "OFF" hours and leave up the "ON" hours.
Then, you check to see if you have the AM/PM right.
Kinda like I didn't do with my new coffee maker and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't brew on the timer...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
THIS:
would be great for a sunroom and NO CATS!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would like to say that this is the design of the pretty pot, just ours is so much prettier.
When we move it we use a rubberized mat, like this one:https://www.uline.com/Product/Detai...MI572u_vXOhAMVXkpHAR2WNAXUEAQYBSABEgIcXPD_BwE
on the bed of a wheelbarrow and carefully roll it on and off.
I have seeds for a purple wave petunia that are going in this year, just bc.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Irritating that a few people would dictate to a business. HERE is an email I received from St. Clare's Seeds:

Ziplock Bags and Static Cling!​

We use ziploc bags inside of our paper seed envelopes. The purpose of them is to protect them from moisture, and make them easier to take out of the packets, use some, and re-store them, etc. Sometimes small seeds will be stuck to the sides of the bag with static. Here are a few ideas to release them:

1. Breathe into the bag, the moisture in your breath will discharge the static. Then shake them out of the bag, onto a light colored glass plate, or paper towel helps see them. If planning to re-store some of the seeds, dry them before putting back into the ziploc bag.

2. If you are at the point of sowing these seeds, Just add a bit of planting medium, zip the bag shut, shake it up, and sow the works, the seeds come right out with the "soil". That way you don't lose valuable seeds in the packet.

3. If you chill the seed envelopes in the refrigerator, this helps reduce the static in the little ziploc bags.

4. Adding a bit of dry sand to the envelopes when ready to plant takes care of the cling, as well as helping to spread the seeds evenly.

To pick up really small seeds for planting individually, a helpful tip is to wet the tip of a pencil, and then touch it to the seed to pick it up and transfer it to the soil.

I wrote them an email in response:
I want to THANK YOU for sending seeds in ziploc bags! They stay dry and viable.
I am Sorry that a few "Karens" have created an issue that does not exist.
Soon these same people will complain to seed companies that sell in paper envelopes bad germination, when bad storage after purchase and user error is the culprit.

Keep the faith!

Yours in Christ,
Betty Dedman

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Irritating that a few people would dictate to a business. HERE is an email I received from St. Clare's Seeds:

Ziplock Bags and Static Cling!​

We use ziploc bags inside of our paper seed envelopes. The purpose of them is to protect them from moisture, and make them easier to take out of the packets, use some, and re-store them, etc. Sometimes small seeds will be stuck to the sides of the bag with static. Here are a few ideas to release them:

1. Breathe into the bag, the moisture in your breath will discharge the static. Then shake them out of the bag, onto a light colored glass plate, or paper towel helps see them. If planning to re-store some of the seeds, dry them before putting back into the ziploc bag.

2. If you are at the point of sowing these seeds, Just add a bit of planting medium, zip the bag shut, shake it up, and sow the works, the seeds come right out with the "soil". That way you don't lose valuable seeds in the packet.

3. If you chill the seed envelopes in the refrigerator, this helps reduce the static in the little ziploc bags.

4. Adding a bit of dry sand to the envelopes when ready to plant takes care of the cling, as well as helping to spread the seeds evenly.

To pick up really small seeds for planting individually, a helpful tip is to wet the tip of a pencil, and then touch it to the seed to pick it up and transfer it to the soil.
I wrote them an email in response:
I want to THANK YOU for sending seeds in ziploc bags! They stay dry and viable.
I am Sorry that a few "Karens" have created an issue that does not exist.
Soon these same people will complain to seed companies that sell in paper envelopes bad germination, when bad storage after purchase and user error is the culprit.

Keep the faith!

Yours in Christ,
Betty Dedman
So great that you contacted them and shared this. Seed producers REALLY appreciate that kind of feedback. I've not bumped into anyone yet who gave me grief because I send seeds in small plastic ziploc type baggies. I could put the seeds straight into the paper envelope, it's cheaper for me to do it that way really, but I know it's not good for the seeds. For quality, they should be in something that doesn't breathe. It really is better for the customer to have the seeds packaged that way.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Keeping my store bought basil alive. When I brought it home it was potbound, so I repotted to double the size for root growth,
I have kept the plastic cover, kept it watered, stored it on top of the fridge with a gro light, and it still lives.
I noticed that it didn't fit underneath the plastic dome anymore last time I soaked it.
This morning I gave it a haircut and put it back.
I threw the dried out and dead parts in my burn barrel, and I spread out the nice leaves, etc., on a baking sheet with holes. It is in the cold oven and I will air dry and store, but I might move it bc I plan to cook hamburgers tomorrow.
We ALL have long lists of gardening goals. Even though the winter is almost over, I hope to learn to start herbs from seed and keep them alive in the winter. Watching Mid American Gardener this week, THIS is harder than I thought.
Basil, 03-01-24, #1.jpg
Basil, 03-01-24, #2.jpg

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
So great that you contacted them and shared this. Seed producers REALLY appreciate that kind of feedback. I've not bumped into anyone yet who gave me grief because I send seeds in small plastic ziploc type baggies. I could put the seeds straight into the paper envelope, it's cheaper for me to do it that way really, but I know it's not good for the seeds. For quality, they should be in something that doesn't breathe. It really is better for the customer to have the seeds packaged that way.
They wrote back!
J.M.J.

HI Betty,

Thank you for your email, and supportive comments. We're glad you like the ziploc bags...we do, too. :)

We honestly haven't really had any people complaining much on them, only one, and it was valid. The tiny, tiny oregano seeds get stuck in the bag, and we have realized this would be frustrating, so decided to come up with info on how to address this with any of the smaller seeds that stick to the bag with static cling. We are continually trying to see problems that can arise and listen to valid concerns(or veven those we may initially feel are just petty, and try to genuinely listen), and help address those, to reduce customer frustration or problems, as we would like done for us. :)

We appreciate your support! Thanks so much for taking the time to write. :) Have a blessed weekend, and God bless!

Viva Christo Rey!
John and Sarah
St. Clare Heirloom Seeds
email@StClareSeeds.com

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Today, I FINALLY worked on my seed starting Shelving. As ALWAYS, everything is in the preparation.
I had to change out one of the supports for my lights. A long time ago I had bought 3 under the cabinet light fixtures and I use Those for lighting for seed starting. It was difficult to hang them on open weave shelving.
I still need to clean out the leaky 15 gallon fish tank, but I have a brand new can of FlexSeal to seal it.
After I give it a good clean and a good dry I will seal it, leave it for a few days to cure, then put water in it.
Don't want the light fixture underneath it to short out!
I changed out a burnt out gro light bulb on the bottom light fixture. It is a gro light florescent and had an obvious singed spot. The new bulb works.
I had a brand new spare bulb and I saved the packaging to take to the hardware store to buy another. I also put in a 2nd pink 4' long gro light bulb.
I Think the 4' LED unit was damaged with only one outlet that works, IF I remember correctly, which was why I brought it inside to the basement. Still I put in the brand new 4' pink gro light, and I will leave it there for the time being. I have a few more LED flourescents in the garage and I'll need to find one and test it to see if 2 units work, then replace this one. I had bought several LED flourescent units, then decided to buy the 500 lumens ones with the encased bulbs, so the others were not used.
No worries. I have a space above my 14 1/2 cu ft freezer that could use a light, even if only one bulb work. UNLIKE my house, the 4 care garage was built in the 90's and you can drill into the 2 x 4 supports. When you do this in the 100+yo house, the wood starts to smoke. :eek:
I will ask Eldest DD to assist. The previous owners built the garage and they put outlets E V E R Y W H E R E.
Where the freezer lives is a little dark corner now.
I threw away some gardening trash in the basement, and put my mini rose (from the north facing window) inside of a small hanging basket and hung it on the thick curtain rod in my office with south facing windows. It's still alive, but it's lost some leaves I think it will be happy there for another couple of months, then into a bed. I am now upstairs with my laptop and I can keep an eye on the watering.
SOMEHOW I have an extra heat mat, although the extra might be one that was on top of the fridge. As soon as I move the garlic, I will know
IF I have an extra heat mat I will store it, They are PRICEY!
In case you don't remember, my old house came with a small kitchen cabinet and sink that were moved to the basement. Dunno if it was part of the original kitchen cabinetry or it came from elsewhere, but I have used it. It is currently a mess, but I have a good month to clean it.
I think I lost the blueberry that I moved to the south facing window and on this cabinet. The sage is still alive and kicking. Didn't water the grape tomato. It has a bunch of dried out fruit on it. I will do something with those seeds...
As I said, keeping plants going in the winter is tough!