Ducks 4 in '24

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
So...one push mower won't stay running, new spark plug didn't fix it.
The OTHER is SO hard to start and when it gets clogged it wants to shut down.
So...I ordered this:
446ac1c8-fa8f-4271-93fd-667c11a47ead

It's ready for pick up. I also ordered a new chain saw:
DeWalt 60V MAX DCCS677Y1 20 in. 50.2 cc 60 V Battery Chainsaw Kit (Battery & Charger)

DeWalt
DeWalt 60V MAX DCCS677Y1 20 in. 50.2 cc 60 V Battery Chainsaw Kit (Battery & Charger)
Item 7020942 | Mfr #DCCS677Y1
QTY
$479.00
I had a cheapo one that failed miserably last summer. I wanted a Good one that didn't have to be plugged in or gassed up. That is coming in later this week.
No, the chain saw isn't bigger than the mower.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought for SURE that the hydrangea on the SE side of the house was dead, but I was wrong.
Drove to the gym this morning. DD's called and said to go home bc the storm last night flooded them out. I checked the mail box, emptied the dehumidifier in the garage and cleaned all of the windows in my car, then washed 2 more blankets for family for their vacation,. Yesterday I washed 4 moving blankets that they put down on the bed of the truck so nobody hurts their knees crawling around.

Been up since 4:50 AM.........
dozed off..........................................

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tomatoes from seed...EPIC FAILURE in 2024!
I bought 20 slicing tomatoes yesterday at Menards, 9 cups, multiples in every cup.
I plan to transplant to large yogurt containers today to keep for a week until the fencing is ready for them.
I listened to an interview on the radio from a nurse, on "Nurse's Day." She said that ER enroute has 3 plans:
1) Plan A from the facts given
2) Plan B from the facts given
3) Plan Pivot, bc it's TOTALLY different from what was reported.
I.AM.Pivoting.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a burn on my left forearm. I wasn't too careful burning sticks, etc. last week.
View attachment 65439 It isn't too long or large. We, horsepeople, steal from our livestock vetwrap supplies to help US heal. DD treated this yesterday with Neosporin, gauze, and covered it up with some vetwrap I had in my medicine drawer in the kitchen. Why,, the kitchen? The bathroom is a bad place to keep bandages bc it's so humid. Anyway, it now looks Far worse than it really is. Good thing I ran out of Pink vetwrap.
I think I still have some colorful vetwrap kicking around in case it's needed. Also probably some horse liniment for strained muscles, generously shared with me by our former band of mares.
Glad your burn wasn't any worse. Similarly I'll never be able to see fire as anything but my friend (I love fire!) and frequently get too close to the flames.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sadly, I am sure that my 26yo mare has Cushings. She wouldn't shed out. I had bought an older horse years ago, and the spring came, we bought clippers to get the coat shedded and just couldn't get his winter coat off.
Every year all of my herd have simply rolled enough to shed in the Spring. Not this year...
FORTUNATELY, with my mare, DD's successfully attacked her coat with a shedding blade, an equigroomer,
Mane N Tail shampoo---friends have Given us theirs, in the past,--
Mane N Tail conditioner (smells like apple,)
a pair of blunt end scissors (Harbor Freight freebee,)
and a HD grooming rake that nobody seems to make anymore.
They spent 5 hours on her coat, and most of the time she stood perfectly still. When 80% of the coat was off we hosed her down and she stopped..."panting".
Cold water Can cool anybody off.
She was thoroughly bathed, while she grazed, then she came over to me to blow in my face, which is how a horse says, "Thank You!"
They lathered her in apple scented conditioner which really helped to get off additional matting, treated 2 small leg wounds, picked out a hoof which had some small stones in it, then thoroughly sprayed fly spray all over.
There are Still some places that need deshedding, maybe 5% left, BUT, and a BIG but, the coat came off.
We turned her, she was walking better, and when her herd mates complained about the flies, she said, "What flies?!?!?"
I finally ordered my 2024 Fly Predators.
Hope your mare doesn't have Cushings. Our last little old pony had it but lived for her last 5 or 6 years with the disease relatively under control thanks to pergolide. That medication's dosage had to be increased each year, but was easy to administer and kept her from looking like the abominable snowman and prevented outbreaks of founder. She lived to be 36 in relative comfort, and outlived her 3 pasture-mates.

It probably felt wonderful to have that too-heavy coat removed with cool water!

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@ducks4you

I was reading up on brewers yeast which I got for my dog and cat to begin with, then I found it's really useful for us humans to, so now I'm taking it myself.

I'm guessing you'll already know that it works well for horses too, along with cider vinegar. Apparently the nasty old flies hates the smell

Then I found this https://lawsonanimalfeeds.co.uk/product/global-herbs-fly-free-1kg/

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH and DD's are out west on an adventure, and I am having a "staycation." Middle DD came over and we repainted the floor of the front porch. I say "WE" but she did the lion's share of it. Somehow, we had chipping from the paint job 3 years ago. I bought Valspar Duramax Exterior and we put 2 coats on. Later this week I will document.
That was primarily Friday and Saturday. She also got the rust off of the register (hydronic with a boiler) and got a coat of white spray paint on it. She took off the 2 fins and they are awaiting paint, which will be downstairs in the basement. I intend to put 3 more coats on the register and 4 coats on the fins before I put them back. We Had intended to paint the bathroom, but youngest DD has agreed to help me with that.
Not hard to match, all bright white.
Today middle DD and I moved the northmost 12 ft chicken wire fencing over to the west side of the garage.
So far, I have discovered that 3 of the asparagus that I planted made it!
Tomorrow I plan to use my spade and prep the ground for cucumbers.
I had to move the fencing bc I need the space for my 3 blueberries, all of which will spread some 5 ft when they are done growing.
We weeded and loosened up two twelve ft rows of tomato fencing around the cistern. I weeded and prepped. All 4 6 ft fencing will be moved ajacent to the four 4 ft chicken wire fencing I put up 3 years ago. It will make sense with photos when I am done.
The 20 tomatoes are still in their original pots, but Saturdays rain made them very happy. They are temporarily living in a big muck bucket. I should be able to transplant them by Wednesday, then go buy some more.
I still need to dig up some stubburn burdock growing in my big garden bed. I will probably dig deep and stuff with cardboard. I don't dare use 2D-4 bc I don't want to damage the young tomato plants.
Anyway, DD and I had a Great visit and we watched the 6 part version on "Bleak House."
If you don't know this, Charles Dickens had a wonderful sense of humour. This story centers around the young inheritors of a contested will. "The story begins in the High Court of Chancery, where the case of Jarndyce and Jarndyce has gone on for generations and has “become so complicated that no man alive knows what it means.”
I am at the last episode and I may read the book.

Latest posts