DUCKS for THEE in 2023

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
...more, yesterday, 3 had splits and are in the fridge...haven't looked today yet

Attachments

• Tomatoes, 08-21-23.jpg
    Tomatoes, 08-21-23.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 54

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ducks: My laptop threw in the white towel. After weeks of struggling to get the wifi thingie inside the machine to work properly; to get Word and Excel to work; to wait for 8 min for the thing to boot up: It was time to bury it.

Drove down to Portland to best buy; got a $400 machine plus attachments to a total of $600, on Friday. Yesterday picked up new laptop and my old hardrive. Now I gotta do the painful task of redoing all log ins, size and font of display; etc etc.

Sadly I have to take it back. I'm missing all my 2017 to present photos. AAUUGHHHHH

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sadly I have to take it back. I'm missing all my 2017 to present photos. AAUUGHHHHH
RIP old computer. I hope they can retrieve your files.

I highly recommend backing up every photo, video, and document in as many different venues as possible, a 2nd computer, multiple thumbdrives, external SSDs or harddrives, and/or cloud storage. Computers are just tools, but your files are irreplaceable.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are so right. I did buy a hard drive and supposedly they backed up everything to it too. I had an iDrive subscription for years, but if I went there, one couldn't tell what was what. And I'm trying to get rid of auto subscriptions, since MS now requires one for Word and Excel. GRRRRR

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
And I'm trying to get rid of auto subscriptions, since MS now requires one for Word and Excel. GRRRRR
Amen to that too, sister! Subscriptions where they charge your card to renew (without your knowledge or consent) are gone from my life. It's a "brave new (corporate) world" that I want no part of. So many scammers out there too. I said good-bye to Microsoft, installed Linux, and only use open source programs now.

I hope all your techy woes will soon be in the past.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I just paid for the one time download to this laptop. Don't care if the programs are 3yo, and I Don't need a subscription.
I have to use AdobeRead for my jobs, etc., anything that creates a PDF, and they push, push, push for you to buy their subscription.
You have to be part of the resistance!!
Vive la France!!!
Hail to the Marsailles!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
... I said good-bye to Microsoft, installed Linux, and only use open source programs now.

it can be a challenge at times for me because i run a testing installation of the Debian Linux distribution but i've been doing this for many years and enjoy it. my last purchase of anything from Microsoft was the Win98 that was included with the Dell i bought in '98...

I hope all your techy woes will soon be in the past.

they just morph into different ones as fast as you can whack-a-mole... or at least sometimes it feels like that. :) i always have a list of projects longer than i can get done. mostly save the bigger ones for the winter months when i have more time for inside tasks.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
it can be a challenge at times for me because i run a testing installation of the Debian Linux distribution but i've been doing this for many years and enjoy it. my last purchase of anything from Microsoft was the Win98 that was included with the Dell i bought in '98.

they just morph into different ones as fast as you can whack-a-mole... or at least sometimes it feels like that. :) i always have a list of projects longer than i can get done. mostly save the bigger ones for the winter months when i have more time for inside tasks.

Yeah, Windows is not what it once was. My hubby was a beta tester for MS in the early days, and he remained loyal to them, but after XP it was all downhill. Windows 10 convinced me to join the ranks of other Windows refugees. I'm impressed with your tech abilities, and wish I was as skilled. It took lots of online help for me to journey to linux.

It's definitely a game of whack-a-mole, and like you I have a to-do list that will never get done. I think I'm kidding myself when I say I'll use winter to make progress, but I cling to the hope.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, Windows is not what it once was. My hubby was a beta tester for MS in the early days, and he remained loyal to them, but after XP it was all downhill. Windows 10 convinced me to join the ranks of other Windows refugees. I'm impressed with your tech abilities, and wish I was as skilled. It took lots of online help for me to journey to linux.

usually there are people willing to help out in many ways so it can be done but it does take some initial investment in learning just like any other new thing.

for me i have way too much experience with many different types of computer systems so a PC was not going to stop me from getting done what i was after. ended up i mostly used the first one as a terminal to other computers and not as an actual computer all that much. i'm glad to say that did change eventually. :)

It's definitely a game of whack-a-mole, and like you I have a to-do list that will never get done. I think I'm kidding myself when I say I'll use winter to make progress, but I cling to the hope.

haha! yes, each year a few things get progress and the rest either get forgotten about or just make their own movement up the list and hope they don't get bumped down again when something newer and shinier comes along.

Latest posts