DUCKS for THEE in 2023

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
those look great! :) *face plant for breakfast*

[as a complete aside... as a joke you could say a face plant is one that someone with a black thumb could not kill :) ]

...@flowerbug I've never heard of pumpkin pie filling with cream cheese in it, is that your family's recipe?

it's an adaptation of an old recipe from when we were kids of a recipe called Cherry Breeze which came off the Frosted Flakes cereal box. it is basically a no-bake cheese cake recipe using the Frosted Flakes as the crust.

the basic ingredients there were the cream cheese (whipped first, add sweetened condensed milk blend very well and then lemon juice and blend some more - get some air in it). then use whatever crust you like on the bottom or no crust at all and refridgerate for a while. you can adjust how much sweetened condensed milk and i've also cut it with just condensed milk to see how that went. i think it was ok, but we rarely buy that. also you can use lime or orange juice or perhaps other juices. the topping can vary in fruits or just whipped cream (or whipped scream since it's coming up on Halloween)...

for me i like it because it has no eggs and doesn't need to bake. :)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Back to harvesting...
Here is my meager Sweet Pepper harvest, which was on Saturday, like when I gathered cucumbers.
Stuffed peppers in on the menu for Friday, then I will cut and freeze all of the rest.
Sweet pepper harvest, 10-25-23.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I broke down and bought some more seeds.
I bought eggplant.
Why? Dunno...they are PRETTY?!!?
Anybody here grow and eat them?
Yes. I peel and slice. Dip in cold water and dredge in cornmeal. Fry in one of those iron skillets you have!

Or you can make a flour/egg batter, brown in skillet and make eggplant parmigiana.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Or you can make a flour/egg batter, brown in skillet and make eggplant parmigiana
That is our common approach. However, we often stop with the completion of the first step.

I think that stress during the growing season contributes to the characteristic bitterness problem eggplant sometimes has. Weather is something difficult to deal with however, rubbing slices with salt and leaving in a colander for some time before rinsing, helps with that. I was recently reading that some cooks soak the sliced eggplant in milk before using. I suspect that this helps with any bitterness but what was noted was the contribution to a creaminess.

Eggplant is a favorite in this household, also.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@heirloomgal, Here are tomatoes that have ripened since gathering one week ago, and the rest in various stages.
I have to keep rifling through the containers on the table bc some will ripen underneath green ones.

Attachments

• Tomatoes, ripening for canning, 11-05-23.jpg
    Tomatoes, ripening for canning, 11-05-23.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Tomatoes, ripening for canning, 11-05-23, #2.jpg
    Tomatoes, ripening for canning, 11-05-23, #2.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 45

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@heirloomgal, Here are tomatoes that have ripened since gathering one week ago, and the rest in various stages.
I have to keep rifling through the containers on the table bc some will ripen underneath green ones.
Wow! I didn't realize they would turn red from that green stage! Lucky you, fresh tomatoes in November!