DUCKS for THEE in 2023

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Youngest DD wants to help me make the pillows!
I bought the ribbon & thread (except for black thread and white thread) at WM, bc it's less than 1/2 the price at JoAnne's. Hoped to get the cording there, too, BUT, didn't have any, so I'll have to buy it at JoAnne's after all.
It is a lot cheaper there than I thought, so no problem.
I will probably buy it online today and pick it up tomorrow at the local store.
Fabric should arrive at DH's office today.
I didn't buy a perfect match for the pink, the red is very close, and I couldn't find a purpley blue, so I bought lavendar ribbon, instead.
I have some other fabric that was slated for pillowcases, but I haven't ever made one, so it sits.
DD wanred me to wash and dry fabric for shrinkage before we start.
We are Definitely taking in machines for cleaning/repair including the 1960's Singer that sinks into a cabinet for storage. Looks kinda like this one:
8-1.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
DD needs her new (embroidery) machine serviced bc it couldn't handle leather. THIS OLD MACHINE is all metal, only sews straight and zigzag, but it was Made for HD fabrics.
Nobody has sewn with it for decades, but I think it only needs a cleaning and maybe a new belt.
Eldest DD wants to bring the whole thing, including cabinet, in. OK, as long as I don't have to pick it up.
I am thinking there is a road trip for this next month. We found a sewing/quilting store but it's an hour away. Still, it's close to where my SIL lives, so will involve a visit.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last Night's Mid American Gardener gave me list#3 for seed starting, from a local expert.
Chuck lives in Kankakee, Growing Zone 5, longitude 41.15
I live in Borderline (literally) Zones 5 & 6, longitude 39
I had to watch and type this out, but it's worth it.

Chuck Vogt's Seed Starting Schedule
(Professor Emertis, University of Illinois, College of Aces, specialties in vegetables and herbs)
WHEN TO SOW FOR TRANSPLANTING FOR A SPRING GARDEN
January 15-February 15 (go out in March/April)
celery
celeriac
parsley
onion
shallot (from seed)
leek
chives

February 16-February 28
rosemary]]better off w/clone or cultivar
lavendar]]better off w/clone or cultivar

March 1-March 15(go out late March/early April)
cabbage
broccoli
cauliflower
kohlrabi
collards
kale
lettuce
oregano

March 15-March 31
fennel
dill
pepper
eggplant
sage

April 1-April 15
tomato (develop faster and go leggy if started earlier)

April 15-April 30
cucumber]]develop Very fast, put out when it has 1st true leaves
watermelon]]develop Very fast, put out when it has 1st true leaves

May 1-Mar 15
basil(don't put out before Memorial Day)
WHEN TO SOW FOR TRANSPLANTING FOR A FALL GARDEN
June 1-June15
brussels sprouts(bitter when grown for a spring schedule)(transplant in July)(harvest mid October)
==not going to make tight sprouts
==Glucosinolates in spring grown brussels sprouts
"The bitter taste of Brussels sprouts comes from compounds called glucosinolates and their degradation products, he explains. These bitter tasting compounds are an important part of the plant’s defence mechanism against leaf-eating enemies, such as insects, nematodes, slugs, and herbivores, like pigeons and deer. They are also responsible for many of the health-giving properties of Brussels and other brassicas, particularly their antioxidant and anti-cancer properties."

July 1- July 15
broccoli
cauliflower
kohlrabi
late cabbage
collards
kale (flowering and regular)
fennel (florence)

July 15-July 30
early cabbage

August 1-August 15
kohlrabi
lettuce
dill (for weed)(don't want to flower late, so big fronds)

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some FYI from today's online study:
"Early cabbage varieties are fast-growing, earlier maturing and smaller in size. These cabbages mature fast, and the heads burst quickly, so they need to be harvested as soon as they are mature. Mid-season cabbages are larger, later to mature and must be well established before summer heat sets in."
"Late cabbages, transplanted later than the others (out in June and July), can be harvested from late fall and winter into spring. They may grow more slowly to maturity with decreasing day length and hold out in the garden for a month or more."

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thought I'd wait to post this until the boiler guy, that we have used in the past, gets over COVID and can fix it. Changed my mind.
I go downstairs Tuesday night to get some steaks from the freezer for DD. Just hadn't been to the basement in two days, and I see this! :eek::eek::eek: Youngest DD went with me and we tied up what was left to keep the connection at the boiler. I NEVER saw this pipe rusting! Really! It was all over the floor. I was "floored," Aghast. I had JUST shopped at Menard's that day. Prayed, left the interior basement door, the one at the top of the steps, but not the outside door open for ventilation.

Attachments

• Rusty pipes #2, 01-24-23.jpg
    Rusty pipes #2, 01-24-23.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Rusty pipes #1, 01-24-23.jpg
    Rusty pipes #1, 01-24-23.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
That was Tuesday, 7:30AM eye surgery for DH--went great, btw--up at 4AM to be there to check in at 5:45AM.
Wednesday he had an eye checkup at 2PM, and we were expecting a blizzard. Fortunately it petered out.
I took measurements, we went out to lunch at the local tavern close to us and I hit Menard's for the parts prior to the eye appointment.
I asked for help at the store, and was advised how to the adjust the elbow, the tape and the correct hacksaw. Hacksaws come with the blade moved to the inside, but the blade can now be changed. I have an old and rusty hacksaw where you can't do that easily. That one needs to be recycled metal next month.
DH and I decided to fix it best we can Wednesday after we ate dinner at DD's house.
It took us 2 hours, and sawing the new pipe took me 20 minutes and a complaint by DH that it couldn't be done.
Never underestimate a duck! 🦆
We are satisfied that we will live until it can be properly repaired. I have contacted our HVAC/Plumbing business, and they will call me when we can make an appointment. I met the plumbers at DD's house yesterday to get started on their shower problem, appointment for THAT is next Tuesday. It requires intake pipe replacement. Here is our gerry rigged repair job and I have been going downstairs to check for leaks. I really like the furnace tape, even though the paper is sometimes troublesome to remove.

Attachments

• Gerry rigged repair, 01-25-23, #1.jpg
    Gerry rigged repair, 01-25-23, #1.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Gerry rigged repair, 01-25-23, #2.jpg
    Gerry rigged repair, 01-25-23, #2.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Gerry rigged repair, 01-25-23, #3.jpg
    Gerry rigged repair, 01-25-23, #3.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Gerry rigged repair, 01-25-23, #4.jpg
    Gerry rigged repair, 01-25-23, #4.jpg