STILL haven't planted YET!
I am so far behind that I have started to Spring Clean. I cleaned out 1/2 of the cupboard above the fridge. I took down a large glass container, emptied it of pasta that was...How Old?!?!? Nobody knew, so I threw it in the burn barrell and cleaned it out.
I still had two 2 gallon bags of the 25 pounds of flour I bought late last year, so 1 full bag went into this, and then moved downstairs after labelling. I also filled the one in the back.
Today, I finished transfering flour to containers. I filled 5 Ball/Kerr glass jars with the glass lids and wire closures, and two clean pickle jars. ALL of them hold slightly more than 3 cups of flour, hence the label for making one 2 crust pie each. They are old and some have a tight seals, others, not so much. i have discovered that 1-3 layers of plastic corrects this, so as to keep bugs out.
It's REALLY HARD to post failures, so, not now. Here is my one herb success that really is "blooming" where I have placed it, on one of the half moon shelves by the south facing kitchen window. I am trying to keep my herb plants going this winter for cooking. The thyme loves it here. Btw, I am a sucker for pretty ceramic pots. I found this one at a Walgreens about 1 decade ago. Good price, too.
we don't put flour in jars for storage because it tends to get used up quickly enough as it is. one thing we do that does reduce bug problems is put the large bag of flour in a hamper with a top on it but it is basically just a garbage hamper. nothing air-tight or sealed but it keeps the bugs from having an easy way to get in as they can't crawl up it.
the only time i've had a bug problem was from a bag of winter-wheat or winter-rye that was infested to begin with when i brought it in the house. didn't know it was trouble for some time but eventually found these very tiny beetles in places they shouldn't have been and then i got rid of the bags of grain and then had to clean out my closets and the front closet was just started to being colonised so i had to keep that also empty and vaccumed regularly for a few weeks before the infestation was eradicated. no pesticides or other things used other than the initial emptying out and then repeated vaccuming to get any that were still alive. at first i was vaccuming four times a day and then it was reduced to twice once i'd gotten most of them out of their hiding places and then once a day until i didn't see any more wandering around.
it wasn't very fun but on the upside it did get the closets cleaned.
Thx. I have tight fitting lids and all flour containers save One are glass, so no mice, either. I would think some Dawn with bleach would clean up the pantry. At least you had a clean pantry!
I saved one of the jars upstairs bc I bought a package of granny smith apples last week for a pie.
Nearly killed both the huge basil and sage, although the sage will recover from the drought imposted by a certain Duck. They were in a big pot outside of DD's house last year, and now are in high enough pots to catch light from a basement south facing window. I have some coated basil seeds that I might stick in the soil around the basil and see about growing more.
Certainly I am thinking about how many herb plants I would to transplant next May to my herb garden area after I fix it. I think the fixing won't take more than a day, just kept putting it off.
Today I hope to finally transplant my geraniums. Some might say to leave them in the shallow but really Wet soil in the bowl in downstairs sink. I would like to see some winter flowering, instead.
I will take pictures.
Well, it happened.
Buster Brown decided that his stall lacked bedding. I found 2 (35 lb) packages of pine shavings that he managed to pull down, AFTER moving aside the plastic tarp. There were pieces of packaging in Cup and Cakes stall since they share toys.
Guess they were gonna end up there Anyway...