Duck's New Ragtag garden, Version 2020

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I miss having a lawn. I miss San Augustine grass. I miss going barefoot in a lush lawn. I have sand, weeds and a rock driveway. Everything wants to stick my tootsies or step on them. The back yard has some turf type bermuda in it, when it gets too tall, we just turn the sheep in it. We machete chop the tall weeds out in the "yard" or pull them up, the sheep graze everything else down. No pretty lawn here.
Have you ever considered moving North? ;)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yesterday my friend cleaned my gutters. The debris looks like pine needle bread.
I burned 1/2 of it in my fire pit.
I paid for a 14.5 cu ft chest freezer back in May. STILL Not here, yet. Pretty tired, but I forced myself to put in 3 hours in the garage. My friend helped me assemble my new scaffolding yesterday and I had it where one truck was, truck parked outside overnight. I moved both trucks, thoroughly swept the garage on the truck side, re parked both trucks, moved the crummy spinet piano that is a piece of garbage bc that is where the freezer is gonna go, thoroughly swept the other side of the garage, threw away garbage, picked up and burned any cardboard boxes in the garage that needed it, place the piano up front, to the far right, and put the scaffolding in front of it.
3 hours later and my 4 car garage is mostly clean.
I figure that they will call tomorrow asking when they can deliver my freezer.
First time I got ahead of Murphy's Law.
My goodness I'm completely shattered after reading all you have done. Good work ;)

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I miss having a lawn. I miss San Augustine grass. I miss going barefoot in a lush lawn. I have sand, weeds and a rock driveway. Everything wants to stick my tootsies or step on them. The back yard has some turf type bermuda in it, when it gets too tall, we just turn the sheep in it. We machete chop the tall weeds out in the "yard" or pull them up, the sheep graze everything else down. No pretty lawn here.
You could do with a goat for the weeds.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Have you ever considered moving North? ;)
We had a lovely San Augustine lawn 160 miles south of here and there are some beautiful San Augustine lawns here. But our soil is sugar sand. I'm glad to have anything green growing. We have worked hard to try to get pasture grasses established, the garden fertile with all the humus we can throw at it. We spread wood chips over the "yard" because of the dust storms when the wind blew and that helped a lot, we even have some bermuda, bahia, and crab grass growing now, along with weeds. Not thick, but better than it was.

You could do with a goat for the weeds.
We just turn the sheep out, they love most of the weeds. There are some they won't eat, so we just chop them down. We haven't mowed all summer. DH is going to borrow the neighbor's riding mower and mow in a couple of weeks to knock down everything and make it all even. Clovers are starting to come up and they always are green, pretty, covered with flowers in spring and provide more grazing for the sheep.

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Been trying to think how you can collect water for your grass. We are getting spares of heat here, if it last just a couple of days the grass goes brown and then dust in no time. I so feel bad for all you guys over there.
@baymule

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sheep are grazing the yard now. I have to take down DH’s bird feeders or the sheep attack them to get at the bird seeds. Silly sheep.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
My goodness I'm completely shattered after reading all you have done. Good work ;)
DON'T be shattered!!! I have been in pretty good shape since I got my horses in 1985--different herd, now.
Every time I have yardwork/garden work, I look around, call to see if anybody else wants to do it, discover that there isn't anybody else, and just "dig" in. :lol: