Ducks & Plants

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I got some new plants from Cogirl today. Stupid me put them out on the back patio forgetting the DUCKS were out there. While they didn't hurt the plants, they HAD to taste the dirt for some reason. I got out there before they could totally unpot the garlic, but apparently Cogirl has tasty dirt at her place :p

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Then when I planted one of my large tomato plants, they kept sticking their bills down next to the roots. I think they were looking for worms.
I have to surround it with rocks to keep them away from it. Then I planted some pumpkins...again they tried dig in the soft fresh-turned dirt. I made the mistake of throwing them any worms I found while I was diging. Now they follow me if they see me holding a shovel.

wyoweed

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Boy do I know how that is! Trying to water anything is a treat. I went to Menards and bought a whole lot of tree rings to keep ducky bills out away from my trees. My flower beds were almost devistated last year. They have their own bed to play in now.
Trowel or shovel is an open invitation for worm digging!
July2008007.jpg

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am such a ditz. I had a geranium plant that had been inside all winter. I wanted to harden it off. I was in a hurry and put it outside the back door.

I was totally demolished when I got home from work. Will I never learn??

pirtykitty

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When I had my Black Bellied Whistiling Ducks last spring I moved bell pepper seedling out to finish growing.. they were about 4 inches tall maybe more... Fred ate them ... luckily I still had time to start somemore.. '

I'm hoping Fred and Louise ( both female) return sometime this year.. They both took off last fall..

my other ducks Welsh Harlequins aren't bothering things too much..

Fred knew what shovel meant. LOL She'd come running when we went to garden with shovel..

The Welsh harlequins picked it up really quick too..

Latest posts