Ducks!

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wasn't on the forum hardly at all last week - my home computer had a virus and I was too busy at work to stop by.

I'm glad to see this topic as I have animals! We just added 2 baby Pekins to our family. They are so darn cute and funny and can't wait til they can go outisde.

So exactly how much damage can two little 'ole ducks do? When I was growing up we had ducks in our backyard - my dad even made them a real cement pond - no kidding. I know we probably had around 5 to 7 mallards, but I don't remember our yard all "mucky." Dad just laughs and say "they'll be drilling holes in your yard in no time!"

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
and can't wait til they can go outisde.
I currently have 2 full grown pekin drakes (I also picked up a new baby pekin yeserday on a whim, they only sold sexed pekins all female so I snatched one up!) and they have basically made a large portion of our yard what I call duck poo soup! Its a sticky pooy mess around the coop where they feed in the morning... and lots of poo around the pond.

It doesn't break down fast, and with a lot of rain it makes it extra black and sticky. They also dig for worms and other insects, so YES there will be a lot of holes around where they like to feed and where rain water, or water from their pool puddles up.

2 Pekins can do a LOT of ducky damage.... but they love slugs and will go over them in your garden which can be a lot of help keeping pest away from your beds. They leave my actual plants alone though :)

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do have some drill holes...LOL

Nothing big though. I call them "Duck Divots".

I think the damage all has to do with how many ducks you are putting in what size of an area. I have a small back yard, so 3 adult ducks aren't trashing it too bad. They also have their pen they go in to at night and a hutch.

I have 2 baby ducks in a brooder, so well will see what happens once they go out to play with the big kids.

I had 4 adult ducks at one time, so 4 seems to be ok too. Not sure about 5 though :p

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I guess I forgot to mention... though I only have 2 ducks.... we have neighbors somewhere who have 6 more of their own (though I do not think they feed or care of them :rant ) and we have a TON of Canada Geese that come and stay on the pond through Spring. Thank goodness they are mostly gone now, I've seen hundreds over the winter.

So my yard is getting nailed by 8 ducks and several dozen geese at a time. :p

If you have a good size yard 2 shouldn't be so bad. They are however addicting like chickens and you'll want more. They are sooooooooooooo cute you can't help but forgive them. :happy_flower

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Poo soup? Ducky damage? I didn't want to hear that!! :lol:

I have an acre, so I have plenty of room but I do have part of the backyard fenced - that keeps the dogs, cats and chickens in so I don't have to worry about something getting them. I plan on making them a pen to confine them at night.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I guess I forgot to mention... though I only have 2 ducks.... we have neighbors somewhere who have 6 more of their own (though I do not think they feed or care of them :rant ) and we have a TON of Canada Geese that come and stay on the pond through Spring. Thank goodness they are mostly gone now, I've seen hundreds over the winter.

So my yard is getting nailed by 8 ducks and several dozen geese at a time. :p

If you have a good size yard 2 shouldn't be so bad. They are however addicting like chickens and you'll want more. They are sooooooooooooo cute you can't help but forgive them. :happy_flower
Several DOZEN geese at a time???? :ep Well no wonder your yard is poo soup!! :lol: Yeah, I do have a good size yard - bigger than the one I grew up with. Like you said they are so cute, I'm sure I'll forgive them!

"Duck Divots" - :gig

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One of my gardening friends adopted two stray yellow ducklings. They grew fast and in two months time her beautiful small backyard and patio was pretty yucky. She ended up re-homing them. Not ideal for her urban yard with a nice garden without a pen or barriers to keep them in.

Good luck.

Latest posts