Ducks4you 2021 Ragtag Thread

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Sometimes FB gives you a treat. Here are pictures of the first kitten that Tompkins (who wasn't fixed yet) took under his wing to nurse back to health. This was Spring, 2015.

Attachments

• Tompkins & Purrkins, 2015, #1.jpg
    Tompkins & Purrkins, 2015, #1.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 158
  • Tompkins & Purrkins, 2015, #2.jpg
    Tompkins & Purrkins, 2015, #2.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 183
  • Tompkins & Purrkins, 2015, #3.jpg
    Tompkins & Purrkins, 2015, #3.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 162

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
When he first carried Purrkins into the kitchen from the cold, cruel world, he was YELLOW with orange stripes, and whiskers missing. You can see why DH adores this cat. Our DD's now have Purrkins, who has grown quite handsome. I am hitting them up for a new picture to share.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Back to PLANTS.
I had bought 2 grapes this year. I put them in my big tree pot outside in aged compost, along with the 2 box store blueberries. The blueberries are thriving, the grapes...not so much.
I Thought the grapes were dead, BUT I saw a tiny leaf on each of them yesterday.
This morning I transplanted them to a 6 inch pot for each, in purchased garden soil, watered them well, and stuck them in my 10 gallon (leaky) fish tank on the porch, where they could recuperate with the tomato seedlings, which are ALSO thriving. I take the glass top (a recycled window from a long ago recycled truck topper) off when it gets too hot. Otherwise it makes a nice greenhouse, on the south facing shelf of the porch, next to the closed window.
I will LEAVE THEM ALONE, except to check for any watering.
Should recover in another month or so, then planting.
SO GLAD they didn't die!!
You can't find grapes a n y w h e r e !!!!!

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rural King has a sale of 6-pack annuals this week, flowers and vegetables.
MONDAY, they were already REALLY picked over, although there were plenty of tomatoes left.
Go figure...
I purchased 12 beefsteak tomatoes, 6 jalepanoes (gave 4 to my hot pepper eating friend), 2 orange sweet bell peppers, a 6 pk of watermelons, two 6 packs of broccoli, two 6 packs of cauliflower, 1 rosemary.
This morning:
--transplanted jalepanoes from cells to 3 inch pots
--transplanted bell peppers from 3 inch pots to 6 inch pots
--moved two 6 packs of tomatoes to porch...need to transplant them asap
All peppers are on top of the fridge for better heat than outside
Also purchased six 6 packs of impatiens and wax begonias. I need to dig out the two beds to the north of the garage, BUT, weeds/grass is very high, and it makes a nice staging area for a week, until I can get them in.
I really NEED to get the annuals in the ground bc they will bush out nicely this summer there.
Awaiting last fall turnips to go from yellow flowers to seed, then I will attempt to harvest their seeds for another, but earlier fall planting.
I MISSED my window for starting cool weather vegetables.
The spinach I planted in the water tank are growing...slowly. I may transplant them end of the month.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put the 6 cell pack of yellow sweet peppers off to the side. I brought yesterday, and I will be transplanting all 6 to 3 inch pots today, and on a heat mat, with a gro light, in my basement setup.
The Holy Spirit helps me with my garden decision making. This is NOT a political post, but, I am a Christian, and I am sharing. Make of this article what you will...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been on the hunt to study how George Washington gardened.
DD's gave me a book for Christmas, but it was rather incomplete.
I found this to share:

Last edited:

Latest posts