Ducks4you 2021 Ragtag Thread

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I put the 6 cell pack of yellow sweet peppers off to the side. I brought yesterday, and I will be transplanting all 6 to 3 inch pots today, and on a heat mat, with a gro light, in my basement setup.
The Holy Spirit helps me with my garden decision making. This is NOT a political post, but, I am a Christian, and I am sharing. Make of this article what you will...
Did you see the video of him, the 1st time the police came to his church - all 5 of them, or more. I watched it several times. I couldn't believe my eyes. He is a very brave man, and a hero. A church in Alberta was also fenced by police to stop people from attending Sunday service. Meanwhile, Walmart and Costco are packed to the gills every day of the week.

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I plant my tomatoes in the same place, year after year after year. They are happy there.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I do the same. I like to plant my tomatoes in a “patch.” Meaning I don’t plant them in a row. I give them 3 feet of room in every direction. I enjoy walking through my mater patch “shaking” them every evening. That is to say when I can weather providing.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I do the same. I like to plant my tomatoes in a “patch.” Meaning I don’t plant them in a row. I give them 3 feet of room in every direction. I enjoy walking through my mater patch “shaking” them every evening. That is to say when I can weather providing.
I like to give advice, but not lecture. It is advantageous to rotate your beds and not put the same plant there more than every 3 years bc of diseases.
If you have any problems like this post and about it, and there might/might not be a solution for it.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
My rhubarb has flowered. I am going to leave it until it fades, then snap off, bc it's pretty!
Also, notice my really spreading purple columbine, too.
Rhubarb gone to seed, front bed, May, 2021.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thought you might like to read This, from http://fourseasonfarm.com/how-we-farm/ :
"How We Farm

WE FARM THE WAY “ORGANIC” USED TO MEAN

Four Season Farm in Harborside, Maine has been farmed organically since its inception in 1968. However, we are NOT “USDA Certified Organic” – I repeat – NOT.

And for good reason. The USDA refuses to uphold the honest, old-time, carefully stewarded farming practices that organic has always represented. The USDA National Organic Program has been totally corrupted by the money, power, and influence of industrial food corporations. USDA certification is a hollow sham. For example:

Hydroponic vegetables, grown without soil using artificial lighting and nutrient solutions from the chemistry lab, are sold everywhere as “USDA Certified Organic” with no mention of hydroponic anywhere on the label. (If the “organic” berries come from Driscols, they are hydroponic. If the “organic” tomatoes and cucumbers come from Wholsum Harvest or imported from Holland, Canada or Mexico, they are hydroponic.)

Undesirable additives are allowed in your “organic” prepared foods. (A lawsuit to stop that was overruled with USDA collusion.) Enormous ‘Confined Animal Feeding Operations’ (CAFOs) with no access for the animals to outdoor pastures (as the regulations demand) are producing the majority of the “organic” milk and eggs in this country. (Most milk from Horizon and all from Aurora Dairy is produced in CAFOs. Eggs from Cal-Maine, Herbruck, or Petaluma/Organic Valley are from CAFOs.) The USDA turns a blind eye to this illegal production. The USDA recently scrapped new animal welfare standards for organic certification at the behest of these CAFOs.

The deep integrity of the passionate, old-time, organic farmers who began this movement is now nothing but greenwash for the USDA “fauxganic” program.

We believe our production practices reflect how organic farming has traditionally been done to produce clean, wholesome food and maintain a pristine environment.

We proudly advertise our produce as: GUARANTEED “REALORGANIC”.

We invite other farmers to join us..."

There is more at Eliot Coleman's site.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting that it is Eliot Coleman.

Consumers and others should keep an eye on the standards. At all times, corporate interests can undermine a.ny.thing!

Coleman has products and 33 articles on the Johnny's Seed website. I wonder if he is an owner of that employee owned company. And if so, what influence he has on their wholesale seed purchases and consignments.

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pruned both cherry trees this weekend. I didn't realize that several limbs were dead, and I cleaned off the little straggler "waterspouts." Looks Much neater. Mowed around them, too.
Killed weeds growing up between the pavers by my firepit and had a Nice Fire saturday.
Cleaned up the main garden bed by pruning the accidental 5 pine trees growing there, so that I can plant underneath them. Planted purchased:
Broccoli
Cauliflower
?Collard Greens???
Thought they were cabbage.
Oh, well, I have a Mother's Day gift card for Lowe's and I am shopping there today. Might be able to find a 6 cell cabbage.
I also put tarps down where the beefsteak tomatoes will be planted in a few weeks to cook off some weeds.
You Never get them ALL, but it will save me weeding when I plant.
I am looking for 6 ft long metal bars to help stabilize the chicken wire that I am running in between the fence and fenceposts for tomato support.
We'll See what I find...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Only weeded the beds around the cistern yesterday. This is where I grew a great crop of corn a few years back. I dug out and got the roots of all but 5 big weeds, so I will need to come back later and paintbrush kill them. I am planting okra there tomorrow. Wish I Could have gotten this bed planted Sunday beFORE the heavy rain, but I won't cry over the missed opportunity.
If I end up watering this bed, so be it. Should be great growing weather, mid 80's in a few days.
SUPER cold Spring this year. Spinach that I planted in March in a big tank (reach that 100 gal "planter") have barely grown. Too cold, too dry...hope it doesn't bolt, but THIS year I Will let plants bolt and reseed for a cold weather vegetable planting.
Oh, I am recycling all weeds in the grass nearby. My mower will be helping.

Latest posts