Ducks4you 2021 Ragtag Thread

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
SPEAKING of recycling, check this out:

hmm, have mixed feelings on that, with the cotton and paper q-tips at least i know the worms will eat them and the packages they are shipped and sold in are all recyclable. i don't particularly like cotton and would prefer other natural fibers instead, but they aren't things i use a huge number of each year, perhaps a hundred or two.

happy planting! :)

Last edited:

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
SPEAKING of recycling, check this out:
Mixed feelings as well. It seems like just a tradeoff, biodegradable q-tip (if no plastic stem) vs. all the extra water & soap used over time to keep the reusable version clean. Even if the product has a reliably long life (which it may not, if you read the reviews) I'm not sure the overall environmental impact would be positive. Furthermore, there is the sanitary issue, of safely & properly sanitizing a porous surface... and if it is non-porous, just how effective it would be as a replacement for q-tips.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Regarding This winter:
Not today, currently 12 degrees F outside. VERY typical of January. ONLY year without a winter (early Spring) recently was 2012, where my 2011 spinach never died, and I harvested it in March of 2012. Everybody likes to FORGET that "climate" USED to be a word for ~125 years of average. A decade of warm temperatures, etc., doesn't mean the world's weather is problematic and certainly we cannot reproduce ash clouds from volcanoes that shut out the sun. Our fossil fuel use doesn't make a volcano explode like that, and all the tax money in the world thrown at changing the weather will only make the rich global tyrants richer. Sorry for the rant.
No early Spring here.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Regarding This winter:
Not today, currently 12 degrees F outside. VERY typical of January. ONLY year without a winter (early Spring) recently was 2012, where my 2011 spinach never died, and I harvested it in March of 2012. Everybody likes to FORGET that "climate" USED to be a word for ~125 years of average. A decade of warm temperatures, etc., doesn't mean the world's weather is problematic and certainly we cannot reproduce ash clouds from volcanoes that shut out the sun. Our fossil fuel use doesn't make a volcano explode like that, and all the tax money in the world thrown at changing the weather will only make the rich global tyrants richer. Sorry for the rant.
No early Spring here.

i remember some year back then where it was so warm we had strawberry blooms on March 11, i have a picture of that somewhere. the fruit growers in the state lost most of their crops too because of the blooms and frosts that came along at the wrong times.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
i remember some year back then where it was so warm we had strawberry blooms on March 11, i have a picture of that somewhere. the fruit growers in the state lost most of their crops too because of the blooms and frosts that came along at the wrong times.
That happen to us in 2018. We had about 3 weeks of highs in the 70s and 80s in February. The peach farmers lost nearly their whole crop and are still recovering. I think the strawberry farmers were okay though. Most of ours are grown under high tunnels until about April because of the risk of late frost so that saved them.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Repost, from Early Spring Thread~
I WILL be using lights on my peach tree this Spring. I plan to wire them up and run extension cords from my tool shed (bc the horses won't be able to interfere), And I can't really leave my garage doors open. NO outside outlets on the garage, and I don't want to run extension cords across the driveway to the barn. Here is an intersting article.
HOPING for good 2021 Peach harvest, from an otherwise beautiful and healthy tree. :fl

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Repost, from Early Spring Thread~
I WILL be using lights on my peach tree this Spring. I plan to wire them up and run extension cords from my tool shed (bc the horses won't be able to interfere), And I can't really leave my garage doors open. NO outside outlets on the garage, and I don't want to run extension cords across the driveway to the barn. Here is an intersting article.
HOPING for good 2021 Peach harvest, from an otherwise beautiful and healthy tree. :fl
This is actually part of my plan for keeping some hardy citrus and avocado varieties alive here! It will be a few years before I can do it though. It would be really amazing if I can actually keep them alive. If the weather pattern from the past couple years keeps up though it wouldn’t be that hard though. We’ve only dropped below 20F 1 time this year!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score

Latest posts