Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Eva Dotes on Pyg!
Eva loves Pyg, 03-20-22.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not preaching to the choir, BUT, getting seeds planted is TIME CONSUMING!!! I took me an hour to fill 72 cells and transplant sugar snap peas yesterday morning. While basement cleaning DD's found an orange plastic bowl, probaby bought for serving potato chips. I mixed in some vermiliculte in potting soil and poured boiling water to moisten it:
Potting soil and vermiculite moistened for planting 03-22-24.jpg
I lost some sugar snap peas a few weeks ago. I soaked these for 3 hours, then put them on a wet paper towel and into a take home container.
Sugar Snap Peas soaked then paper toweled, ready for planting, 03-22-24.jpg
Only one didn't sprout. I transplanted 48 into cells in the Germination Station and the others got spinach seeds, 3/cell.
Germination station 72cell readied for planting, 03-22-24.jpg

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I put it on top of the new heat mat that came with it, and put it on the bottom shelf. I need some hardware to secure the gro light that was found last weekend. The heat should be enough for the seeds for a few days.
Basement heat mat, gro light setup, 03-24-22.jpg
The grey window box has my "bonsai sweet peppers" in it.
SO much more to do. I hope I have enough time this weekend for my gardening!!!:fl:fl:fl

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Still house sitting this week. Brand new light fixtures are going in, including 6 new ceiling fans. The electricians suggested removing/storing/selling the glass globes from the old ones, which probably date from the 70's and 80's. They are heavy glass and there is a market. I have been removing them, washing them and cutting cardboard from the boxes to store in 18 gal. plastic bins. Eldest DD had a top light fixture with a 16 in glass globe. It got it free from it's metal housing for storage and resale. SHE has a very good rating on EBay, and intends to get going and sell all of them this Spring.
We three had another Family Fun Day Saturday afternoon with my truck. I had to buy fencing material for my tomatoes at Rural King, and they had to spend $1,100 at Menards on new lighting. Yeah, I know, the money was burning a whole in their Wallets!! :gig
I needed to buy 6 ft tall fencing for my tomatoes. The fencing last year wasn't tall enough for tomatoes, or really sturdy enough. Most of the articles I read suggested 6 ft high for indeterminates. I had sticker shock at spending $170.00 on a 100 ft long roll that was selling for $150.00 last Fall, when I hesitated to buy it. I had planned on keeping the extra 52 ft roll for any other project.
**picture of Ducks kicking herself**
(I am very limber.)
Instead, I found a 50 ft roll, 6 ft high!!! $99
I wanted to have removable fencing, supported by 8 ft fenceposts (of which one foot gets pounded into the ground) that I could move every year for my tomatoes. My big garden that I created 20 years ago is 12 ft wide. Hence, I needed 48 ft, divided into 4, so I can use it there. This season my tomatoes will grow on the south side of the garage.
I wasn't satisfied and I really didn't want to build wooden trellises and train my tomatoes with twine. 😕
Although I created 5 rows last year, they were only 4 ft high. I didn't break them down and they look to be in good shape.
THEY are staying up for gardening until after my 2023 gardening season. This year, the sugar snap peas growing downstairs go out first, then sweet corn and friendly herbs and flowers. Next Year--??? :hu but I'll think of something. Maybe I will have a contest here for ideas! :love

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
DD's weren't quite sure about all us taking the truck, but their stuff wouldn't have fit in either of their cars. Even with my fencing packed all of the way forward, there was plenty of room in the bed AND it has a topper.
I got a nice meal out of the trip. Oishi lunch, 03-26-22, #1.jpgOishi lunch, 03-26-22, #2.jpg
I kept My chopsticks for a future gardening use...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest posts