Ducks4you for 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Harvested 21? 25? more beans, including 3 aspargus beans. I am now walking the beans every day. I never had a bed so weedfree before!!
VERY humid today, so this is my first inside the AC break. Bad timing, but I think I will water the beds next. The sweet potato bed has turnips and pumpkins up. REMEMBER, they are planted there to fill in the spaces, and many are old seeds, so that is their purpose. Wherever I leave bare spots the crabgrass, sawgrass, quackgrass (NOT a favorite of This Ducks!!) and purslane want to sprout.
2022 has been my year to throw seeds everywhere, and I have seen success, like my African daisies.
Going into town on Wednesday and the 2023 seed buying commences then.
Rural King still has seeds, and surprisingly Lowe's will keep some seeds through the winter, although the selection is Very low there.
5 tomatoes are blushing.
My big bed Cherokee Purple volunteer tomato has big and beautiful green tomatoes all over it, at least a dozen. Can't wait to harvest from it.
It has made me consider that I should stagger my tomatoes and sweet peppers next year bc the volunteer has a LOT of airflow.
Maybe?
OR...

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Companion Plants to Grow With Tomatoes
  • Basil. Basil and tomatoes are soulmates on and off the plate. ...
  • Parsley. ...
  • Garlic. ...
  • Borage and squash. ...
  • French marigolds and nasturtiums. ...
  • Asparagus. ...
  • Chives.
OR
  • Borage.
  • Calendula. A great plant for attracting beneficial insects—which can help reduce pests and increase pollination.
  • Chives.
  • Lemon balm. ...
  • Mint. ...
  • Nasturtium.
  • Sage, oregano, parsley, and thyme.
The jury is still out on my 2022 tomato growing, but I look at my beds and analyze how I can do better.
DH is still not satisfied with my late tomato planting. We both would like to put out 6 early tomatoes that are covered for cold protection, just to see if we can get tomatoes earlier, primarily for eating.
This morning I considered that I don't NEED to build a structure for early 2023 growing bc I already Have 5 semi permanent fences that can support covers. Youngest DD keeps a Christmas List on her phone. I have asked for a small greenhouse from Harbor Freight.
Maybe this one:
I thought long and hard about building one, but I am no builder, so that's kindof a pipe dream.
I am concerned about wind damage, so my PLAN is to ask for this in October. I want to put this on the south side of my garage, on the east side of my 2022 tomato bed. I will need to pound in fencepost stakes and put two 4' x 8' wood to protect from our periodic severe winds, to the West and to the East. I know that this will limit the sunshine to only the south facing wall/doors, but I think that will be enough. I also want some plastic adjustable shelving, kind of like this:
I will look for the shelving I put in my garden shed, where I can make it one or two shelves high. It really holds weight.
I KNOW that I risk post viewing with just text!
Next text will have some pictures, I PROMISE! :celebrate

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Filler plants are up in the Sweet potato bed. Can't really identify pumpkins from other squash, although one looks like a big pumpkin sprout (not pictured here.) Obviously, there needs to be a little bit more grass weeding.

Attachments

• Sweet Potato Bed, filler plants, 08-07-22, #1.jpg
    Sweet Potato Bed, filler plants, 08-07-22, #1.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Sweet Potato Bed, filler plants, 08-07-22, #2.jpg
    Sweet Potato Bed, filler plants, 08-07-22, #2.jpg
    317.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Sweet Potato Bed, filler plants, 08-07-22, #3.jpg
    Sweet Potato Bed, filler plants, 08-07-22, #3.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 57
  • Sweet Potato Bed, filler plants, 08-07-22, #4.jpg
    Sweet Potato Bed, filler plants, 08-07-22, #4.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
You can see turnips, more squash and the bed, as a whole.

Attachments

• Sweet Potato Bed, filler plants, 08-07-22, #5.jpg
    Sweet Potato Bed, filler plants, 08-07-22, #5.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 63
  • Sweet Potato Bed, filler plants, 08-07-22, #6.jpg
    Sweet Potato Bed, filler plants, 08-07-22, #6.jpg
    556.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Sweet Potato Bed, filler plants, 08-07-22, #7.jpg
    Sweet Potato Bed, filler plants, 08-07-22, #7.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 58

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
THIS is why I like to keep volunteers. This is a Cherokee Purple from some fruit that dropped of the vine in 2021. These green fruit are much bigger than on the purchased Big Boys that I have growing in my tomato bed. One fruit had some damage so I tossed it.

Attachments

• Tomato, Cherokee Purple volunteer, 08-07-22, #1.jpg
    Tomato, Cherokee Purple volunteer, 08-07-22, #1.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Tomato, Cherokee Purple volunteer, 08-07-22, #2.jpg
    Tomato, Cherokee Purple volunteer, 08-07-22, #2.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Tomato, Cherokee Purple volunteer, 08-07-22, #3.jpg
    Tomato, Cherokee Purple volunteer, 08-07-22, #3.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Tomatoes blushing, 08-08-22.jpg
    Tomatoes blushing, 08-08-22.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
"You can also order seeds throughout the year, rather than only in the early spring. Blazek says seed companies were swamped in 2021, when COVID left them short-staffed, and orders rose a whopping 400%. "Most of those orders hit in March and April, but now people seem to realize seeds that sold out in early spring may be available later, so shop year-round,"

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Farmers, TOO. At least in Canada.
In the US...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
New "Inflation" bill is to pay farmers to not grow.
If you buy flour, it may last over a year if stored correctly.
IF you hot water bath can, I URGE you to come up with the $ and buy a pressure canner.
Although it took me awhile to get up the nerve to use mine, I just opened a pint of beef stock that I pressure canned in January, 2023. ALL good.
Freezing is great, but if you have blackouts you could lose your meat.
We had one of those, when we lived in town. It was the 1989?1990?1991?
Can't remember WHICH year, but it was called the Valentine's Day Ice Storm blackout here.
For some reason everybody on the north side of our city street had power. Everybody on the south side of the st had no power for about 5 days. A neighbor lost all of her meat bc it was Just warm enough to rot it, as often happens here. In the country some people lost all power for 2 weeks.
Well sealed Ball/Kerr jars keep a long time.
I bring it up bc I have had pork broth cooking on my counter in a crock pot since Friday, and today it will become 8 pints of pork broth.
I made an awesome roast yesterday by cooking the carrots and onions and some garlic in beef broth first in my small crock pot.
I seared a chuck roast all sides, in olive oil, then cooked all of it together. Even the grisly part of the roast tasted good. Only DH ate it with ketchup, but I think that is force of habit. The other 3 of us didn't put anything on it.
Plus, the carrots were cooked through and had soaked up the broth.
I also made yorkshire pudding.
AND, DD fried up my 2 day harvest of beans, as an additional side dish.
I had the small bit of meat leftover this morning for breakfast. I fed the fat to the dogs.
God is very good to us. :love

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
If you'd like an early tomato (that actually tastes GREAT, because most earlies are terrible!) Moskvich is excellent. It's the best red beefsteak I've ever grown that was productive, early and delicious AND done by about August 1st. Fabulous tomato.

Haha, be careful ducks greenhouses are an addiction!!! Once you get one and see what power they have you can never live without one! :lol:

Latest posts