Ducks4you for 2022

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
It's good to share information here. I watched this week's Mid American Gardener and a panelist, former Pharmecist, now Master Gardener mentioned that
has Excellent customer service.
He said that the company called to check on his order 6 months after it had arrived, to see if he needed replacement trees.
I bought my Johnagold trees from them, and they have been very hardy.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had two meager sweet potato harvests. Stores still sell them. I have learned that an ALDI plastic bag is a great way to sprout slips. I HOPE to make a good bed for them this month by my cistern. I have some boards that could house some deep soil that they like, in a raised bed, and I will buy sweet potatoes from the grocery store to start them.
DD is also good at leaving one in a plastic drawer that sprouts good slips.
Therefore at $45/25 pounds of sweet potato stock is too rich for my blood.
I bought my last online purchase of seeds yesterday:
Ailsa Craig Exhibition Onion × 1 PakPlus - 1,500 Seeds
$6.95 (HEIRLOOM)

Snowball Self-Blanching Cauliflower Seeds × 1 Packet - 100 Seeds
$3.99 (HEIRLOOM)

Red Express (cabbage) × 1 Packet - 300 Seeds
$3.99
(Compact plants can be planted close together and are ideal for Northern climates.)

Danish Ballhead Cabbage Seeds × 1 Packet - 300 Seeds
$3.99 (HEIRLOOM)

Purple Top White Globe Turnip Seeds × 1 Packet - 1,000 Seeds
$3.99

Clancy Hybrid Potato × 1 Packet - 20 to 25 Seeds
$3.99
(Seeds eliminate diseases from entering the crop from tubers. And seeds are smaller, easier to store and can be stored longer. Grow like tomato seed. Sow 6 to 8 weeks before last frost and transplant at the same time you transplant your tomato seedlings. )

Homemade Pickles Cucumber Seeds × 1 Packet - 100 Seeds
$3.99
(excellent disease resistance, including Downy Mildew.)
I think I will pick up some eating cucumber seeds locally. Otherwise, family liked eating THESE, so we should have enough. If I miss any and they get huge I know 3 horses that will also help.

Evergreen White Bunching × 1 Packet - 500 Seeds
$3.99
(Perfect for early green onions. ) I will probably start/grow these in the basement this winter for fresh greens.

Vegetable Spaghetti Winter Squash Seeds × 1 Packet - 30 Seeds
$3.99
(Heavy yields from long vines. Keeps well.)
Always wanted to grow these.

2023 Early Bird Special - 2 Free Seeds Packs × 1 Early Bird Special; 2 Free Seed Packets
Free
I will buy anything else that I may have forgotten about locally.
They had free shipping that grabbed me.

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
I often need to order gifts for DH. I got an extra ALDI wine advent calendar for our office complex receptionist before he asked me what to give to her.
Didn't know she loves wine, so, yeah, it's a hit.
I have gotten pretty good at this. I also often have to order my OWN Christmas gifts.
I just did a two-fer...ordered my own gift AND ordered from a small business located 90 minutes away.
They sell specialty flour, etc.
I am a bread maker, so I will put the product to work to share with family. :D

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm envious you can grow sweet potatoes. This year I found some at the grocery store that had velvet skin, so were probably fresh, and were AMAZINGLY good. I realized I've never been super crazy about them because a lot of what we get here is likely on the old side. These velvet skinned gems were delicious, unlike any I'd eaten before. THEN after finding those I found some long purple things - I think they were sweet potatoes - but they were really, really long. Superlong. Now these were one of the most delicious root vegetebles I've ever tried. SO GOOD, rich taste and a deep flavour. VERY dark purple color. Amazing, and I've gone back to get more but they have a different purple kind now that looks just like a regular sweet potato only with light purple insides. It's good, but I want those other ones again!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Who said THAT?!?!? I got NOTHING but skinny little wisps of sweet potatoes this year. Their patch turned into a pumpkin/squash patch.
SOME people can grow them here. They are tropical and need the same kind of loose soil that carrots crave.
Got a full plate of stuff this weekend, but Wednesday should be near 50 degrees, and I could clean up the south wall of the cistern, put up wood for a rustic raised bed, and dump well aged compost (that I keep looking at in the south pasture as I am cleaning stalls.)
It is 9 ft long and I might be able to grow them There.'After I get my chores done AND wrap presents AND we finish our extended family Christmas on the 17th, I should have some time to start some onions and leeks downstairs,'
My greenhouse kit will have to wait until the Spring.'
No worries, though. I want to build it once and build it right.

Last edited: