Dumping on Private Property

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I left my house in a great mood, was going to check out sale at a favorite nursery. I turned the corner slammed on my brakes, dumped in my woods was a stove 3 tires and a hideous chair. This is the 2 time in 10 years things where dumped here. It looked like someone cleaned out their garage and didn't want to pay dump fee. I called the sheriff but nothing they can do, had to pay $80 for guy to haul to dump today. Why do people feel if its not lawn it's ok to dump.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah you need to get rid of that quickly. If others see it there, that becomes an invitation for others to dump there.

Why do they feel it's OK to dump. Money plays a part, convenience plays a part, but some people just have class and some don't.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Around here, it seems to start with the first of the year.

Guys throw their Christmas tree in the back of their pickup and leave it there. It dries up, turns brown. After a month or so, it blows out onto the highway ...

No wait, around here it begins when the kids get off on their own a little. They can make those cherished trips to the convenience store and pick up their big gulps or monster cans. On the way back home or to their friend's house, they drop the containers in the street.

No wait, around here it begins when the little kids follow their parents out of the soopermarket with their package of candy. The plastic wrapper is pulled off and dropped in the parking lot.

NyBoy, I'm sorry people behave like this and did so at your home. They must never have learned to identify themselves with more positive, responsible, and respectful behavior.

Steve

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My MIL had a huge issue with this where they live. In the past 14 years they've had everything from tires, couches, and general garbage dumped to stolen cars and once a mattress with a body hidden underneath! No trespassing signs didn't work, they even found mail with the address of the person still on it in one dumping episode and returned the garbage, not very kindly.

What DID work was putting up these fake cameras and putting up a notice saying the whole place was being videotaped. That has stopped dumping cold. Apparently no one wants to risk their dirty deeds caught on tape. :)

Edited to add: Steve! If my child dropped a wrapper on the floor he would never get another piece of candy again! This is why yesterday he had a sample cup from the coffee shop and was running around to everyone shouting TRASH? TRASH?! At them.

Hopefully he will never commit such a crime.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
People around here are bad about dumping deer carcasses in ditches and creeks, once they get the cuts of meat they want. I know this is "organic" and will likely feed some wildlife, but it sure is nasty to come upon during a walk through the woods!

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
It happens here - and this IS a dump!
There is a little house - falling down, abondoned and sad - about 50yds up the road from the landfill gate. There is a huge tree between the house and the drive. I used to go there for lunch and sit under the tree. One day I pulled in and found furniture piled up behind the house. This is just YARDS from the landfill - at the end of 2miles of empty road!!! And they pulled up behind the house to toss off their junk with 2 containers waiting for their free disposal only yards away. It didn't get cleaned up fast enough and in no time there were bags of garbage all over the yard. Even places where you could see where they backed up and started dumpping out a burning barrel, pulled up, dumped some more, pulled up, dumped some more leaving a trail of ash and burnt metal cans.
If you're going to drive to the end of the road - and if it costs nothing to dump it into the containers - WHY pull behind the house and dump???? Cause some people are just nasty by nature.
I'm really sorry that they abused your land and that you had to pay to clean it up...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, you apparently are just not open at the correct hours of the day for some people. They probably would also appreciate it if you made house calls. :rolleyes:
I agree with Cane, some people just can't be bothered to do the right thing.
Sorry you were the target of selfish slobs NYboy.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, that does not surprise me at all. Around here it is free to drop dogs or cats off at the pound and they are open 24 hours a day. Some people prefer to drop them off in the country for the "good life". The 'good life" out here means they get eaten by coyotes. The only question is whether they are alive or dead when they get eaten.

Cane, how about suggesting the county put up a few cameras and identify license plates, then they get taken to court and fined. When they are taken to court, it needs to be in the paper, on the radio, and on TV news about how dumb some people can be. I know the Yahoos you work with will probably put you in charge of the program instead of someone in law enforcement like it should be. No good deed goes unpunished. And that kind of management is a great way to ensure problems are not solved.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, the roll-off cans are available 24/7 - this particular group would just rather feel sneaky and dishonest.
Some people are just like that.

(edited to remove snark and nasty attitude)

Last edited:

Latest posts