Dust Bowl

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was mid-April 1935, Black Sunday.

Wea01422.jpg

"The Dust Bowl as an area received its name following the disastrous Black Sunday storm in April 1935 when reporter Robert E. Geiger referred to the region as 'the Dust Bowl' in his account of the storm." Wikipedia

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My grandfather was a farmer and, with his family, left SE Oklahoma in 1928 and moved to the western part of the state. I believe that they left that area the very next year. So, they may have avoided the worst part of the crisis.

However, I don’t think that they completely avoided the problem in southern New Mexico. And, how could they, living almost anywhere in the US?

By the late ‘30’s, Dad and several of his older brothers were in California. I have the Grapes of Wrath by another Nobel laureate and just cannot bear to read it. My oldest uncle went to work on the farms and in the packing sheds in California's Central Valley. He ended up as a school bus driver and I think that was best.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Horrible.
Don't think Congres would have done anything if the Dust Clouds hadn't reached D.C.

erosion is still a problem even now and congress still hasn't acted in ways that would help solve the problem. the sister problem to erosion is flooding.

when you go from land covered to land barren then you invite all sorts of problems...

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
TRUE!!
West of the Mississippi was called, "the American desert" for a reason. MUCH different soil west of the river than east of the river, sans the trees and Still farmers till it up and let it blow away.
Even in Illinois, there was an April day in the 1980's, very warm day, but I had to close the windows (residential area) bc farmland was tilled and the wind was blowing it everywhere.

Latest posts