Dutchman's Pipe Vine

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Varigated Porcelain Berry Vine does well in shade or sun. Full sun makes the berries bluer, but full shade will make the varigation on the leaves more pronounced. It is said to be invasive, but wouldn't be for your area. It's not really invasive in mine (6b) either (anyplace that gets a real winter.)

6486_dscf4832_web.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, that is lovely! I will keep my eye out for that. I have only checked one nursery-which did not have Dutchman's pipe...It is still early for greenhouse shopping- I'll check around in a week or two. Thanks for all the great ideas, guys!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thistlebloom - i was reading some old threads, and saw your questions about silver lace vine. I *think* its invasive by seed, because it's EVERYWHERE here, even way out in the woods. Especially in riparian areas. My neighbor has one, and offered me a piece when i admired it, but luckily i said No simply because i dont have the room. I would put it in the Horribly Invasive category!!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, not to worry, I planted mine in 2 gallon pots submerged and it one of them didn't come back. One vine finally came up from the roots but I decided to quit messing with it. This was the second time I had tried it, maybe it was the location, south side of the house....
so I dug them up, and let me tell you those things had some huge roots! I think they weren't liking the pots confinement.
As a replacement i planted two porcelain berry, with variegated leaves. Hopefully it will take off and cover my trellis :/ ...soon.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had my silver lace vine planted for at least 5 years, and I have never had it spread?? If the branches touch dirt, they will root themselves, very rarely... Maybe there are different kinds? I have planted my Dutchman's Pipe Vine. It is not much to look at, yet-but I have high hopes for it next year!! I'll post a pic, soon.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
There may be a wild variety... but then again that's the trouble with common names, a lot of times more than one plant can have the same name. So it may or may not be the cultivated silver lace vine, which botanically speaking is fallopia baldschuanica .
I just wish I knew what the reason for it's non-return was :/ .

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here is the "before" pic of my Dutchman's Pipe Vine... I am hoping it is about to start growing leaps and bounds! I really want it to cover the north side of my greenhouse.

5947_veggie_garden_005.jpg

Latest posts