Dutchman's Pipe Vine

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Anybody grow this?? (Aristolochia). I was looking for vines that would grow in the shade, and stumbled upon this. It sure looks interesting. They claim the flowers smell bad (rotten meat bad). But, it wouldn't be too close to the backdoor! Not sure if I can find any around here...
Any other ideas for shade loving vines??

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
OOOooo, Lesa, I really like Dutchmans Pipe! I don't personally have it but it is a brilliant grower and the person I know who has it says the flowers are not obnoxious. It has such pretty foliage and gives quick coverage, not so much the first year, but once the roots are established in the second year. One thing you have to watch is to not plant it in a windy location, the wind will tear the leaves up. But it's a great solution for a shady site, and it can grow in full sun too. I hope you can find it! :)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's a coupla more vines that I like that will grow (and bloom!) in shade, or at least part shade:

Clematis "Nelly Moser" she's a pretty vine with about a 3-4 inch bloom
and actually colors best in the shade. I have this one. :)

Silver Lace vine (Fallopia baldschuanica, older books still list as Polygonum albertii )
This one has a reputation for being invasive and since mine has only been in two years I can't say. I managed to kill it twice (not the one I'm growing now obviously :p ) because I cut it down in the fall as I read I should. Then I was told by an experienced nurseryman not to. So far, so good. And to control possible invasiveness from the roots I planted it in a submerged 2 gallon pot.
I do plan on cutting it back some in the fall because it frames my dining room window and I don't want to look at dead vine all winter. But the roots should be strong by then.

Then theres Akebia quinata or Five Leaved Akebia. The one I planted did not survive it's first winter, which is understandable since I planted it in the fall and that winter was a doozy.

I also have another clematis on the north side of the house that I put in last summer and it bloomed a large white flower about a month after I planted it but I can't remember her name. I just went out and checked and she's got new growth!! Yay!

Anyway, there's a few shade growers for you to check out...:)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Thistle! I have Silver Lace Vine (actually planted in full sun). It is one of my favorites- but it got huge fast... I have something a little tamer in mind.
Interesting to know about the wind- I am planning on putting this vine on the north side of my greenhouse- so it should be protected.
I was thinking about Clematis, as well. I do like them- and they are easy to find!
The Akebia looks interesting too!! My book says it can become invasive- but not a huge worry in zone 4!
I'll have to see what I can find...

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
So, Lesa, I have a question about your silver lace vine. Do you know if it's invasive reputation comes from root spread, or do the flowers spread viable seed everywhere?
I'm looking forward to a little wild growth. My husband built me a trellis framing the dining room window that faces south so we could grow a vine for shade (funny thinking about needing shade...) and this year if we ever get summer we'll get to see how effective it is.

Oh, and research the clematis, many of them only do well in sun.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can only speak of it, here in zone 4- don't know what it does elsewhere. I have never seen another plant started from seed. The bush/vine grows very fast. I would say mine has spread 10 -15 feet in either direction from the trunk. That took about 4 years. I think it would work perfectly on a trellis. You have to train it a little when it is starting out. Now and then I tuck a vine into the fence if it looks like it is straying too far.
This is such a beauty when it is in flower. You can understand how it got it's name!
I would be cautious of it near the house. I have my wisteria on a trellis close to the house and I do have to keep trimming it. It reaches for the dark brown siding with real determination! Just keep the trimmers near by and give it a hair cut, if it needs it!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks Lesa! Yeah, not to worry, I'm always trimming and snipping wayward stuff. I thought of that when I planted it, figuring it would love to get a start under the siding. Good to know yours is doing so well, I'm technically z5, but like to plant z4 since we have gotten (is that a real word?) down to -30 a few times in the past 9 years.

I almost gave up on growing it, but last years growth was good. I actually planted a clematis, Sweet autumn, on the trellis, thinking if the silver lace pooped out I could have something started. The SL will probably overwhelm it totally this year.

bantyshanty

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I wish you luck in finding Dutchman's Pipe vine. I know that the plant parts were traditionally used in Chinese medicine in quite a number of herbal preparations, but that it's recently been outlawed by the FDA and in Europe to sell anything with aristolochic acid (the active medicinal compound in the plant) in it. This may mean it's also become scarce to find or illegal to sell at nurseries.

Some other vines that have some success in the shade are "Late Dutch" honeysuckle. It has pink-white flowers. I've grown some successfully for two years in 90% indirect light of a north facing wall. Although it didn't flower much its second year, it's still a healthy plant.

The other vine that's been good for me is campsis, trumpet vine. It's so sturdy, it's done great on the north side as well. It's also leggy, with not as many flowers as with full sun.

Both these are potentially invasive if they do well.

scotexpat

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have had Dutchman's Pipe for many Years.It does grow very fast and very large,but I find it easy to control with an annual trim.The Flowers on mine are small and rather insignificant,but still unusual and quite pretty,I have never smelled anything bad from them.It is a terrific screen from nosy Neighbours

Featherbaby

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a beautiful Dutchman's pipe vine that covers my trellis every spring and covers itself in 5-6" blooms mid summer til frost. No odor to blooms is detectable and it is very showy!I highly recommend it.

I also grow a fast vine with grape like clusters of big blue trumpet flowers. It's called SKY VINE and is in the Thunbergia family

Of course you can't beat confederate Jasmine for quick dense coverage and heavenly scent when it blooms. I also have Carolina Jasmine which has small yellow trumpet like blooms in the spring that have no scent.

Latest posts