dwarf fruit trees

Patch of Heaven Farm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has dwarf fruit trees and if so how do you like them? I was thinking of getting some citirus ones that are suppose to start having fruit within 12 months of planting. I am also planting a full size orchard but thought of planting a few dwarf ones around the house. I also was wondering about the trees that are suppose to have five fruits in one tree?? :hu Just was wondering if they are worth the money and if they really do produce good fruit. Thanks for any and all help.

Oh and any advice on planning and planting a orchard would be great!!!! :watering

Jessica zone 8 :coolsun

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
We used to have dwarf trees and they were very nice. We only had plums but they were just as tasty as anything you'd get on a big tree.
I've heard a lot of bad reviews on the fruit cocktail trees. Seems like you still have to have some pollinators around because not all the fruits self pollinate and they don't come in at the same time. I'm sure that there are some people who love them but on our gardening group we had mostly unhappy people.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, most of my orchard is on dwarfing stock. Unless you want to pick a 50 foot apple tree, it's better to get dwarfing stock trees that can be picked with a regular stepladder or even a kitchen stepstool.

Does citrus even need to be dwarfed? :idunno It's more of a bush than a tree, as far as I know--should be just a matter of pruning to keep it small. Some things are like that, they don't come on dwarf stock and you just have to prune them.

Have also heard nothing good about fruit cocktail trees. If you are limited for space, you can always espalier the trees or train them as cordons (single long branch trained along a wall or fence). That way you get lots of varieties but don't lose much space. I think that's what I'd do if I only had space for a small orchard.

That said, I like my orchard a lot better than my veggie garden :hide The orchard only needs something done to it about four times/year, and the rest of the time it takes care of itself. That darn veggie garden needs something weeded, picked, trimmed, planted or dug twice a freakin' week in spring. As far as labor and cost, I really wish everything grew on trees. My apple trees don't care about weeds growing under them or rabbits. The four things you'll have to do are this:

Late fall/winter: Prune and spray with dormant oil. You're not in a super-cold climate, but if you were, you might have to wrap the trees in burlap to protect the buds from frostbite.
Spring: rake mulch around and unwrap, spritz a tiny bit of Bordeaux mix on any diseased-looking bits, prune anything that didn't overwinter nicely. Hang bug traps or set out ladybug nests as needed.
Summer: Pick fruit.
Fall: Pick more fruit.

For appearance's sake, you might want to mow underneath the trees, but I assure you this is entirely optional, especially if your husband can't be persuaded to do it for you. ;)

beavis

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
For Citrus, in zone 8 either option will work for you, dwarf or standard trees.

In zone 9 here, almost all our citrus thrive as long as it doesn't stay below zero for too long (rarely).

I have standard trees of oranges, lemons, and limes. Soon to add tangerines, mineolas and other interesting varieties.

Patch of Heaven Farm

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
:frow Thanks for the info guys!! I have plenty of room (2 acres) set aside for an orchard. I want to plant apples,plums,pears,peaches,lemon,lime,oranges and tangerines,figs,bannanas and some pecans. I have over 15 acres total so plenty of room to plant around the property. Just trying to figure out the best varieties and if dwarf is better than full size.

:mow

I also want some grape vines ,cherries,razzberries,strawberries,blueberries,black berries, and apricots!! Whew alot of digging LoL but well worth it I believe!! :tools My family loves fruit and I hope to get it all done this yr b/c I know it takes a few yrs to start making. I want to plant the citrus near the greenhouse just in case it needs covering.

I really like the idea of the dwarfs. Do they mature and bear fruit sooner than standards?
I also plan on getting some bees this spring!! Can't wait!! My kids are so excited as well!!! :bee

Thanks Jessica zone 8 southern Ms

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do they mature and bear fruit sooner than standards?
I think either way they have to be 5-6 years old before you'll get any good fruit. You can get 3 year old trees, that speeds things up a little, but they cost, like, three times as much as the 1 year old kind. Citrus might be different though.

Since you are in a warm zone, look for apples and pears specifically bred for southern climates. Apples and pears generally require a certain number of chill hours--time spent in cold weather. Certain varieties need more than others. There are several varieties developed specifically for your zone I think: Anna, Pink Lady, Winter Banana should do well for you.

beak

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
We have some apple trees with trunks in the 1.5 to 2.5" range. This year we put some 5" black flexible drain pipe around the trunks to protect from deer. Also put woven fence in a 5" diameter circle around each tree and filled with straw to about 18". The drain is slit of course but I was worried about water accumulating and freezing, or bugs in the spring. I have seen this on city trees and wondered if anyone thinks there is a problem with it?

Latest posts