dwarf root stock?

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I guess I didn't include enough information in my original question and I apologize.
I'm not looking to do any grafting of trees, I was more curious as to what nursery trees were grafted too- that if I bought any and the rootstock grew up along with the fruit graft, just what would I expect from the root growth if it produced fruit. Make sense?

I have a 3-way pear that is grafted to a quince. In the last few years there have been new shoots growing from the base or rootstock. Two years ago (I think) this new growth had flowers & some small fruits-no big deal & I didn't do anything with it. Then by last season this rootstock growth outgrew the actual tree and produced huge fuzzy pears. At the time I didn't know what they were until I asked here on the forum & found out my pear was grafted to a quince rootstock.
Since I have other types of fruit trees and several have these rootstock sprouts, I was trying to find out that if they should be left to grow, just what would they produce.

I will say here that I have a prune plum (Stanley I think) tree that has grown a peach branch from the side of the trunk. That was completely baffling to me since I had read somewhere they are not compatable and the branch was well above the graft line. I never did get any peaches or even flowers, but the leaves were unmistakably peach and were completely different than plum leaves. We ended up cutting off this branch because it developed a bad case of leaf curl & we didn't want it to damage the rest of the tree. The prune plum is & always has done just fine. I had called it my "Preach" tree.

I have read that cherry trees are commonly grafted to "Colt". My question here is...just WHAT is a "Colt"? Is it a cherry? If so, is it edible? Sweet or Sour?

Thanks again to all responses.

Rio_Lindo_AZ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just bought a peach tree. It looks like the dwarf variety was grafted to standard root stock. There is a new branch coming from the trunk. It's leaves have no resemblance to the grafted tree.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
I guess I didn't include enough information in my original question and I apologize.
I'm not looking to do any grafting of trees, I was more curious as to what nursery trees were grafted too- that if I bought any and the rootstock grew up along with the fruit graft, just what would I expect from the root growth if it produced fruit. Make sense?
Oh! I see. Normally I would cut off any sprouts from the rootstock, as they take energy away from the tree--similar to what you experienced with the quince rootstock outgrowing the pear graft. It's very normal for rootstocks to be more vigorous and hardy than what's grafted onto them; that's the point, really, that you get the hardiness and root disease resistance of the stock but the quality fruit of the graft.

Colt is a sour cherry that was made from a cross between a Chinese variety and wild North American/European sour cherries. The other popular cherry stock is Mazzard, which is basically wild (sour) cherry. Edible, yes--tasty, no. If you add an absurd amount of sugar it's almost tolerable, but there's a certain amount of cough-syrupy flavor to them that makes me think of chest colds. Wild cherries are called "bird cherries" because only birds really seem to want to eat them.

But generally it's a good idea to cut back shoots from the rootstock. The grafts tend to end up sickly and you don't get as much fruit from the graft if you don't.

old fashioned

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
Normally I would cut off any sprouts from the rootstock, as they take energy away from the tree--similar to what you experienced with the quince rootstock outgrowing the pear graft. It's very normal for rootstocks to be more vigorous and hardy than what's grafted onto them; that's the point, really, that you get the hardiness and root disease resistance of the stock but the quality fruit of the graft.
Is it possible to dig up those sprouts & replant in order to get another tree?

Colt is a sour cherry that was made from a cross between a Chinese variety and wild North American/European sour cherries. The other popular cherry stock is Mazzard, which is basically wild (sour) cherry. Edible, yes--tasty, no. If you add an absurd amount of sugar it's almost tolerable, but there's a certain amount of cough-syrupy flavor to them that makes me think of chest colds. Wild cherries are called "bird cherries" because only birds really seem to want to eat them.
That's good to know, so thank you

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
Is it possible to dig up those sprouts & replant in order to get another tree?
I wouldn't dig them up, it would damage the original tree, but you could cut them off, dip one end in rooting hormone and start the cuttings.