Dwarf Spicy Greek Basil.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought I would give this a try although we have never prepared any Greek dishes.

"Cute little compact plants are only 6-10” tall and are great for growing in containers. It has a spicy, slightly anise flavor and is a must for Greek cooking.

Ocimum Basilicum
Dwarf Greek Basil
Dwarf Greek basil makes perfect little mounds of basil perfection.
Compact plants are 6-8" tall making them excellent for containers.
Spicy with a touch of anise flavor.
Great for so many dishes.
Excellent dried and sprinkled on garlic bread."

greek basil.jpg

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I try to not limit myself to what something is supposed to be used for. I don't expect you do either. I grow the Italian big leaf basil which I think also has an anise flavor. I prefer that flavor over the sweeter milder basils, mainly to flavor soups, baked chicken, and chicken broth. The wife uses it for many other things. Sister-in-Law likes it for pesto.

I dehydrate a lot of it too. The big leaves are a lot easier to separate from the stems so I have more leafy powder. If you are container growing it that mounding type will work better than the tall rangy stuff I grow.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I try to not limit myself to what something is supposed to be used for. I don't expect you do either. I grow the Italian big leaf basil which I think also has an anise flavor. I prefer that flavor over the sweeter milder basils, mainly to flavor soups, baked chicken, and chicken broth. The wife uses it for many other things. Sister-in-Law likes it for pesto.

I dehydrate a lot of it too. The big leaves are a lot easier to separate from the stems so I have more leafy powder. If you are container growing it that mounding type will work better than the tall rangy stuff I grow.

I also grow a few varieties of large leaf basil, my favorite is Plenty. We also grow lemon and purple basil along with dwarf oregano. All are being grown indoors hydroponically so we can have fresh herbs all year. My wife dehydrates basil and also freezes it into cubes for use in cooking.

purple.jpg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jack, how big does your dwarf oregano get? Is it easy to start from seed?

I have a regular size oregano that gets huge. I'm always having to trim it back and it grows year round. It would be great if I could find smaller one.

Mary

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary,
Here is where I purchased the seed the description includes the size of the plants. I am container growing so it will be more compact. The seeds germinated in only two or three days.
Jack

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Greek-Oregano-Seeds-Sizes-1500-Pack-to-1-4LB-FREE-SHIP-Herb-Easy-Microgreens-133/122905821557?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=423358683688&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

P.S The greenhouse plant is probably less than 8 inches in height but tends to grow outward. Of course, you can trim it as it loves to be pruned.

oregano.jpg

Last edited:

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Jack, how big does your dwarf oregano get? Is it easy to start from seed?

I have a regular size oregano that gets huge. I'm always having to trim it back and it grows year round. It would be great if I could find smaller one.

Mary
Mary,
Here is an actual photo of the oragano that the seeds I mentioned above produced. It is really dwarf and really pungent.
Jack

dwarf oregano.jpg

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
You do know that can is a distraction, right? The leaves look almost like purslane. Are they rubbery? It sure is small and doesn't look like one plant would be enough for general use.

Mary

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
You do know that can is a distraction, right? The leaves look almost like purslane. Are they rubbery? It sure is small and doesn't look like one plant would be enough for general use.

Mary

No, the leaves are not rubbery and it is definitely oregano. There are only a few plants in the container but I have lots of seeds left from what I received on Ebay. I have enough seeds for hundreds of plants but we only use a little fresh oregano. Theresa dries and crushes some to store from time to time. The leaves are small and the plant recovers quickly after being cut. Is the photo of the can a distraction because you are now going to have to go out and buy some peanuts? ;)

oregano leaves.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts