Early Peas

TTs Chicks

Sprout
Reaction score
This sounds kinda dumb I guess, but we like the early peas that Leseurs sales. What kind of pea could we plant that would be about the same as those?

Madfarner

Leafing Out
Reaction score
*Chuckle* They're our favorite, too. You'll probably never be able to discover the specific variety, even if it IS just one. Look for something productive, well suited to your climate, and just be sure you get them picked while they're still small. I don't grow many English-types since I moved to TX, so I'm not current on varieties, but you'd want to look for one that bears a main crop, rather than spreading them out. It's a pain to have to freeze 2 pints & then wait for another picking.

Madfarmer

TTs Chicks

Sprout
Reaction score
You'll probably never be able to discover the specific variety, even if it IS just one.

:/ I figured that's the response I'd get.

Maybe someone can tell me a good one to try since this will be my first attempt?

We are in north Florida.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Sorry I'm no help, I'm in NC and this is my first try at a veggie garden this year too. I'm trying some Oregon Sugar Snap Peas. Something my duaghter will DEFINITELY eat since she really isn't into the tomatoes or eggplant I'll have going.

Other then those, I'll be doing pole beans for the first time too.

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have grown peas a few time. I think it is a mater of timing and soil. That will result in a good harvest. Peas are a cool weather crop so for texas late winter/early spring and a fall crop. they can take a frost which will result in a sweet pea. Once it get hot they will stop growing completely. Hope this helps.
ETA: good soil will always make a difference.

Latest posts