Early winter?

desertlady

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Do you think we will have early winter? I keep hearing about some places are getting "cold front" the sun kinda of went to bed a little bit early too. I wonder what Punxsutawney Phil has to say?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never heard groundhogs making predictions for fall freezes.

Depending upon your reliance upon old wives tales v/s science, you might want to consider. . . .
1.) The first frost will arrive 6 months after the first thunder storm of the year. Around here, that would have been some time in early July as we had thunder storms with lightning in January this year!
2.) The first frost will arrive 6 months after the first cicada chirps. According to my records on the calendar, that should arrive the 17th of September this year.
I'm certainly hoping it will be more 'normal' in it's arrival and will wait for mid to late October or even November.

And, yes, the sun is rising and setting noticeably later and later every day. My chickens put themselves to bed about 7:00 now where I was urging them to the coop at 9:00 this summer and they didn't want to go.

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Smart Red said:
. . . My chickens put themselves to bed about 7:00 now where I was urging them to the coop at 9:00 this summer and they didn't want to go.
Oh yeah. Same here. We have some young ones now and they are on the roost by 6:30 nowadays. But the older gals are out and about till dark every evening. They have been going out to the road lately.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I don't know about an early winter. But word in the forest is, the winter is going to be long if the wooly bear catipillars stripe is wide. So far, stripes indicate a long winter.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a cold spell, it was so nice. But my pond plants started dying off and 2 of our old mature trees are dropping leaves, one is nearly bare already.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think winter will be late here. The Elk were late to start bugling. The Brown Squirrels are only now getting denser fluffy fur. The teenager Grey Squirrels are still playing drop/the/pinecone/pieces/on/the/loud/things.

Latest posts