Easter Update: Ordered my orchard...

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here is a picture of the pool greenhouse I am thinking of copying. There is also a 2:40 video there.
http://www.treehugger.com/files/201...-four-grows-food-in-swimming-pool-arizona.php

Here's another site with the video, in case the first one doesn't work.

http://www.mnn.com/your-home/organi...eos/backyard-swimming-pool-becomes-greenhouse

I won't have chickens in mine, due to regulations. I do eat a VERY small amount of fish, but won't try that project, either. I'll probably stick some fish in the deep end just for fun, though.

This idea started with my son's comment that I could turn the pool into a greenhouse. This led me to google ideas and this was the first one that popped up. The pool is surrounded by chain link fencing that is cemented into the ground. I plan to use the fence posts to help anchor the pvc/wood structure. I'll have to build mine a little different than the one in the video due to the location of my pool steps. Plus, I have an area in the pool fence with plantings that I might want to leave outside of the pool.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Can you give me the whys on your peach choices? I really want to put some in this year, but I have never done well with them.

Ever notice how some plants just don't do well for you? I grow plants with ease that others struggle with and visa-versa!

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sure! I am in northern zone 5, so a bit far north for reliable peach production. Every so often, peach crops are lost due to frost in zone 5.

So I based these choices on:

1.) Contender & Reliance are both cold hardy to zone 4, one zone colder than my location. This means that they should survive AND produce fruit more reliably than some varieties. Both are considered VERY cold hardy, as far as peaches are concerned. In fact, they were the most cold-hardy freestone peaches I could find.

2.) Both are freestone varieties. This was mandatory. I "hate, hate, hate" clingstone peaches.

3.) The two varieties should ripen a few weeks apart. Reliance is supposed to ripen 3-4 weeks before Contender. Since peaches don't store well (like apples) I don't want to have multiple trees producing at once in case I can't keep up with canning them (I prefer canned peaches to frozen peaches). Plus, this gives us a longer period to enjoy them fresh since they don't ripen at the same time.

Edited to add: Both varieties also appear on lists from my state's extension service as good varieties to plant in my state. I examined these lists for all major fruit. This is actually why I didn't plant any pear. My extension service says they really don't do well here (disease problems). Since pear is a fairly large tree that doesn't produce for 6-10 years (though it can produce VERY heavily when it does) I wanted to focus on things that had a better chance here. I love pears, but will have to stick with buying those. (Besides, I really am not fond of fresh pears. I mainly like them canned. I also dislike peeling and canning pears quite intensely so will stick to buying them.)

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Update:

So far, we've put in 3 apples, 2 peach, 2 Manchurian Bush Apricots, four blueberry (or maybe it's five), about eight or nine new raspberry plants (will have to check the numbers), five grape vines, 3 gooseberry, 2 native plum 1 dwarf mount royal plum, and a rose bush this year. I've also planted a new perennial bed the other day, though that isn't part of the orchard, obviously. (It's caladium, hostas, and ferns plus lily of the valley.)

I'm still waiting on one last grape and my two cherry trees. I just ordered 6 more blueberry (a different kind), 2 currants, and a lilac today. Those, plus some asparagus and rhubarb and other flowers I have on hand will round out this spring's planting, other than veggies. I have lots of those waiting for warmer weather. I kind of overdid it with tomato and pepper seedlings, and still haven't even gotten my banana and green pepper seedlings! I'm not sure WHERE they'll go.

My son is not going to love hearing that I just ordered 9 more plants today. He's got another ten holes to dig for me. ;) I think I'll wait and tell him later, LOL.

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
In case anyone is following my progress this year:

I ordered 2 Gogi berries, a lilac, 6 lowbush cranberry, 2 red currants, and 3 hybrid hazelnuts (from Arbor Foundation). It's going to be tight, but I can squeeze all of that in. (I'm going to crowd the hazelnuts a bit probably.)

In other news, I planted an asparagus bed today, and dug a BIG flowerbed which is also planted...about 20-25 foot by 2.5 feet...

Also planted one other small flwoerbed and weeded the garden. Watered everything, too. Yeesh, no wonder I"m tired!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I am very proud of you! That is a lot of production in one year. The patience part kills me... I'm so happy to have my trees, bushes and canes going into their 4th season, some their 3rd and a few their second. I haven't planted anything new because I am yet to enjoy the rewards of the last few years of patience I've put in!

I hope you show some pictures of your set up, trying to imagine it with your lot size. :/

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks! I decided to get things into the ground before the economy gets even worse. Prices are only going to keep going up, I'm afraid.

Henry Fields had a $25 coupon and you could use it on a $25 order. So, I got the Goji's with that. Jungs or Gurneys had a Web special. The currants were 2 / 9.95 or something like that. The lowbush blueberry were on sale, too.

I do have a few plants that I got cheap at Walmart that I'm afraid won't make it. I'm going to have to go on a serious scavenger hunt for the receipt, because I think I'll have a few to return. I'm giving them another three or four weeks, though. Then, I'll replace those in the fall or spring with better stock. (I'm concerned about the blueberries, especially.)

Another reason I decided to get stuff in the ground NOW is because my son is still home to help. He'll probably be home a couple more years, and I'm hoping longer, but you never know. College, and all. He's good about helping.

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Adding: I'll post some pictures, but I want to get some nicer ones first. I'm still planting / cleaning up. I'll wait until the man traps are gone from my back yard. (We have holes dug for some things we are waiting on.)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sounds like you are making wonderful progress!! I will be very interested to hear how those hazlenuts work out for you. If half of what arbor day says is true- they should be incredible!
Looking forward to pics! Happy Gardening!

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Rozzie, I also ordered the special they had over at the arbor day foundation on the 3 hazelnuts. Let me know how yours do. I know I'm in zone 9, but their website is the only one that claims to have zone 9 filberts. Let's see how ours do. :frow

Latest posts