Easter Update: Ordered my orchard...

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I'm planting mine closer together than one normally would to form more of a hedge. Since I'm limited in space, it's my only option. I've seen some sites that have said to use one distance for home production, to ease picking, but to plant close together for commercial production if automated picking equipment will be used. (Apparently, they are modifying blueberry picking machines for this.) I figure if they can be grown close together this way for commercial production then they should be okay that way in my yard, too. It'll make my life more difficult when I pick them, but that's okay. I can manage that. ;)

I'm hoping they will produce well. I'm sure all the neighborhood squirrels will show up. I was going to plant these in my front yard, but decided against it. This way, they'll be in my privacy fence and will be protected against the deer that show up in my front yard.

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Ah, Rozie...see, I already thought about the squirrels ;) Hubby is building new screened in 'houses' if you will; this fall, so mine will be fully protected from the lil' varmits. I share plenty with them, and am even planting a few other wild berry type bushes for them. But my filberts? 'Keep their grubby little paws off!' :)
Have you received them yet? I ordered mine about a month ago, and only saw it appear on my charge about 3 days ago, so guess getting ready to send out to me. I also have received the 2 carmine jewels from Gurney's. Quite small, but instantly leafed out and already need to transplant to larger pot. They will be container grown, as also going in screnhouse. It seems you and I will have several plants to compare notes with ;)

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
No, I just ordered them this week. My Carmine Jewels have been ordered for a long time, but I have not received them from Gurney's yet. Hearing that you got yours means mine might arrive soon. It's definitely time to plant them here soon! I'm also waiting on a Cayuga Grape from Gurneys.

I have some things I'm waiting on from Jungs & Henry Fields, too, but they are orders I just placed. My earlier order from Jungs arrived and is all doing wonderfully.

The Apples, peaches, plum, and wild plums are all leafing out. The Manchurian Apricots have only been in the ground about 8 days, but aren't doing anything yet.

The crappy plants from Wal-mart aren't doing much. The two gold raspberries leafed out. Nothing else is doing ANYTHING. That includes 4 grapes, 2 more raspberry, and 4 blueberry. I need to find that receipt...maybe I can do that this weekend. It's going to be cold then, anyway...At $5 a pop, I "must" find that receipt!

The raspberries from Baker Creek are doing fine. All but one have leafed out. I had good luck with them last year, too. I'm still hoping the last one will make it.

Darned Wal-mart crap! Never had this kind of bad luck with any plants from Wal-mart before, but I never bought plants of this type from them before this year.

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I swear, we're having the same experience. I bought 3 (5.00 ea.) Natchez blackberries from them about 5 weeks ago. One just peeped it's green leaves up out of the soil, and promptly died. Other two are 'sticks in the mud.' And I'll bet I threw my receipt out! I did however, buy some blueberries from them at the same time, and they all made it, are doing wonderfully. I also replaced the blackberries with some really nice ones from Lowes, growing like weeds and even have a bunch of berries on them.
You will be getting those cherries soon. I called about mine I was in such a hurry. They said they were going by zone area and spring warmth (or lack of).
Last fall I had ordered the special pkg. Stark bros. had on grapes, 3 for 25.00 or something. I lost the seedless concord. But called last week and they are making good on it, said I should get new one this week.
You might want to look at Lowes if you replace the grapes from Walmart. We were there about two weeks ago, and they had shipped in some really nice selections, some even had flowers. They were more than the 5.00 ea. Walmart wanted, but at least you know they'll make it.
Sounds like you raised a good boy. Kids today usually don't want to help their parents. Good for you :)
I like comparing notes. :)

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My lowbush blueberries and currants arrived today from Jungs. They look wonderful -- green and budding out. I talked to them earlier and my lilac is delayed.

I talked to Gurneys today, and my Cayuga grape & my Carmine Jewel Cherries are supposed to ship tomorrow.

I haven't called Henry Fields to find out when my Goji berries will ship, or Arbor Day for my hazelnuts. I might call them tomorrow...

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've never ordered from Jungs. I'll have to check them out.
You know, I was just thinking about something quite odd....'Gurneys' delays until after the threat of frost....a
cherry tree purported to live through a zone 2 winter!' :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My Carmine Jewels came today, along with my Cayuga Grape. The Carmine Jewel cherries are pretty small, but I expected that. They are NOT dormant and are really pretty! I about fell over when I saw the grape. It's over 3 foot tall and out of dormancy. Compared to the crap grapes I planted earlier this season this is a treasure! I'm "still" waiting for the earlier ones to come out of dormancy.

I just finished digging for the six lowbush blueberry, the grape, and the currants, plus my cherry bushes. They'll get planted tomorrow. It's awfully cold today and supposed to warm back up tomorrow. I'd rather not "shock" the plants with this weather on their first day in the ground!

That said, I had my first meal from the garden today...a small salad worth of greens and onion tops, plus a handful of basil. I stuffed it all in my sandwich. :)

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Yummm, isn't it great when you know every bite you're taking is from your own two hand's work? It's the sweetest salad there is!
I've already transplanted my carmines up two pots! ANd Starks sent me a replacement concord the other day that sounds pretty close to yours ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You got a dream orchard going on! Wow... the varieties are just amazing, and they keep coming.

**patiently waiting on pictures** :D

Rozzie

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Pictures to come, eventually, I promise. My husband was diagnosed with an intermediate stage cancer at the end of January, so we've had a lot of chaos lately. I've been working, getting all this in the ground, and dealing with surgeries + cancer stuff. It's been a rough spell. We're know where near through the rough stuff yet, though his prognosis is reasonable.

Sooner or later, I'll get pictures though. I have to actually find my camera first...

Latest posts