Eastern bluebirds nesting

Mattemma

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have blue birds too. I have had problems with house sparrows going into the nest boxes and killing the birds. I have gotten rid of 7 male sparrows just these past 2 weeks,so I hope some blue birds will come back.

boggybranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The only problem I have in the Bluebird "department" is the mean mockingbirds chasing them. I got something to cure that problem, though.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh I love the bluebirds, but they do have a hard time getting on don't they...

I see a lot of them up here, but I haven't made them any accomodations yet. My FIL always maintained a dozen or more bluebird houses on his property. Seems like everything wants to eat them. :hit

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
boggybranch said:
The only problem I have in the Bluebird "department" is the mean mockingbirds chasing them. I got something to cure that problem, though.
Mocking birds are at least good for target practice! lol

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
boggybranch said:
Same here! I initially thought they were not going to use the nestbox in the picture because every time they'd go near it there was a mocking bird harassing them.

There are now THREE eggs in that one, and at least one in another box near the garden. :D

I need to go look up how long it takes once she begins to sit on them and try to keep the cats inside when they fledge.

(And yes, Mr. Rattlesnake was on my property, but he was way in the back where I don't need to go very often. He didn't want anything to do with us, he was just waiting for something small and furry to walk by. I saved his life that day, but I make no promises if he comes on *my* side of the creek.)

-Wendy

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Id get some roof flashing and put that around the pole. Same idea as a squirrel baffle. Angle it down and far enough out so the snake has to reach waaay out to go up so its off balance and unable to climb up the pole. Plus the smooth metal won't allow it to get enough of a grip to pull itself up either so it hopefully will just slip off stopping it from raiding the nest again.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Ooooh... wow.... I can't even get CLOSE to the blue bird house before they are GONE GONE GONE! Nice shot! :)

Can I use that for POW? I know you just had the last round of POW, but you take such unique and gorgeous shots. :D

Latest posts